Yamaha 90 tlr not shifting

speckle

Cadet
Throttle cable broke ordered new cables and 703 control installed same, Installed adjusted Seemed to work on cups On the water would not go in reverse and stay. Adjusted Would go into both gears for one trip then would not go in forward This kep happing so changed back to old 703 worked all day fishing when got to landing no rev.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I hate to say it, but sounds like you are not installing and securing the cables properly

speckle

Cadet
It is simple the cables land in a slot at the control and the motor to lock the outer cable and the inner cable adjust to get neutral with the alignment mark on the motor . what am I missing?

speckle

Cadet
They are staying in place the outer part of the cable does not move , They are locked in the slot on the cable at both ends. Is there something in the linkage that could shift and cause it not to stay in place. This should once set it should stay in place Once set I have never had to adjust any one any boat I have ever owned

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
apparently something is coming loose to cause the motor to not shift and operate the throttle as you move the controls.
how else could that happen?

speckle

Cadet
The throttle cable stays just the shift changes Is there something in the linkage that could cause this the linkage from where the cable connects to the motor to shaft to lower unit seems tight

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Throttle cable broke ordered new cables and 703 control installed same, Installed adjusted Seemed to work on cups On the water would not go in reverse and stay. Adjusted Would go into both gears for one trip then would not go in forward This kep happing so changed back to old 703 worked all day fishing when got to landing no rev.
can you explain what you meant by no rev?.
I thought it meant the motor would not throttle up in RPM
never mind I just realized it was no reverse, my mistake.

many years ago I came across a shift cable that had slack in the movement of the inner cable.
I have no idea how that could happen, because the ends should be crimped onto the cable solid with no movement.
that was not on a Yamaha tho.
what brand of cables did you buy?
make sure the shift linkage end of the cable on the motor moves the same amount as the end on the controller when you move the controller.
maybe a bad cable?