Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke won’t turn off

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,can someone please help? My Yamaha 2 cylinder outbound won’t turn off.. I have checked all the earth leading down to the engine all ok! Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and was curious to find out another way of killing the spark. Surely outboard with no battery connected must turn off differently. Thanks people I wait in anticipation. Richard

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked the kill cord switch, probably shot, won't turn the motor off when the cord is removed or the killing button is pressed. In the mean time can shut the motor off by pulling the choke knob fully out...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Is the motor "running", or is the starter engaged? A short in the starter can cause it to run even if the key is turned off and there is no power to the coil, so the plugs are not really firing.

Feil

Recruit
Hi. I have a 50hp 4 stroke yamaha outboard on my tender. It will not stop running when I turn off/remove key. Nor does the 'kill switch' shut it off. I have replaced the ignition switch without benefit. Anyone have this issue before or thoughts? Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

If you press the red button on the kill switch or when releasing the kill cord if the motor doesn't shut off seems it's a CD related issue.

Happy Boating