Yamaha 150HP VS. 200HP? Which would you choose? Anyone felt the difference?

gsxr150

Seaman
Hello! I am getting a 23" Tri-toon, and have a choice of a Yamaha F150 or F200 engine. The cost is $3k more for the 200HP. However, all my research shows ONLY, MAYBE, 5 MPH on the top end. I'm told if I didn't know which engine was on, I could not tell in low to mid range. Does anyone have any real world experience with a 150hp vs 200hp engine?

trout74

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you can afford the 200, I would get it. You will nerver be upset that you have more horsepower. I just went from a 75HP pontoon, to a 150HP triton, and I am already starting my savings fund for a 250 optimax down the road. 5 MPH on a toon makes a nice difference on top IMHO. Good luck and can't wait to see some pictures.

gsxr150

Seaman
I can afford it, but I could also save $3 for other investments... I'm about value per dollar spent. So if I'm only getting 5 MPH top end, it's hard to justify. I would really love to hear "you'll feel the power all through the RPM band etc".

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Save your money. I think you will have enough speed with the 200 and who runs their motors at WOT all the time, you would be burning around 18 gph or more.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depends on what you plan to do with the boat. If you're just cruising around at 20~25 MPH then go with the 150HP but if pulling a skier or you always pile on the people then go with the 200HP. I have a 150HP but that was the max before I had a center tube added a year later and I usually cruise around and occasionally pull a tube. I max out at 36 MPH with 3 aboard.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sorry, I mis-read your post and meant to say go with the 150 not the 200.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
If it were me I'd get the 200 hp.It's cheaper to buy it now then to buy it later. But do you really need it. 3K is a lot of money. My 24 fter only has a 90 hp two stroke and it goes fast enough for me.

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My merc 150 four stroke will push me in the upper 30's on my 23' tritoon. I'm glad to have that power, but I don't really see a need for more than that. I will admit though, I haven't tried pulling a skier or tube with it yet.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you want to ski the 150 will be pushed to the max with a few folks in the boat. I have a 22 foot tritoon and up until last year I had an older 140 hp on it (really a 125 in today's rating) and it would not ski to my standards. It was about 5 mph slow. I put a 150 hp on it last year and got over the hump. If I could I would have gone with a 175 but that's pushing the limit on my boat. I can tell you I think you will be pushing the 150 to ski but it will do it. I never liked running a motor wide open and I think it burns more fuel. If you can drop it down to 4,000 rpm or so to where the motor is not flat out It will operate on less gas. You don't have to run it wide open just because it's there but when you want to you have it. Most boats that size with 150's seem to be hitting high 30's - low to mid 40's mph. Maybe someone will hit mid to upper 40's but I wouldn't count on it with a 150. Mine runs 39 to 40 flat out. What I like most is to cruse around 4,000 - 4,300 rpm where the motor doesn't struggle and doesn't suck the gas as bad. I can do that in the low to mid 30's now.

Not many folks will say they are happy with the speed of their pontoon and their motor is too big. Watch the threads of folks up-sizing their motors.
I assume this boat has lifting strakes. If it doesn't... no need for the 200. I don't think you could ski well without them even with the 150.