Yamaha 115 3200 RPM Max

errol_white

Recruit
This 1987 outboard has worked reliably for years-20 to 30 hours per year. Then, first day out this summer I was tooling along ~4000 RPM and then sudden loss of speed. No buzzers, no yellow or green lights. I push the remote up and anything over 3200 generates a hollow running sound with the occasional rev up a few hundred RPM and right back down to 3200 RPM. Very smooth from 0 to 3200 RPM. Almost seems like there is a governor at work. Here is what I've done so far, on the weekends I visit the home that has the boat, and none of it has helped:<br /><br />Fuel:<br />A) Checked fuel filter and plastic screen that is closer in-line to the engine. Squeeze bulb and no difference while running. Replaced fuel pump. Ran off separate tank from hose disconnected at engine-side of bulb. No difference.<br />B) Bought manual. Rebuilt the two Nikki carbs. No sign of clogged jets, dirt, or water. Slightly re-adjusted linkages.<br />C) Checked plugs. All the same. All wet, and a little black looking but with short engine runs this is inconclusive.<br /><br />Mechanical:<br />A) Throttle cables not stretched, or slipped.<br />B) Checked all linkages. Nothing seems to have moved.<br />C) Compression check: All 4 cylinders within range of each other, and held pressure. I think all were around 140 psi, but don't have notes handy.<br /><br />Electrical:<br />A) Checked wiring. Looks OK. Connections tight, grounds secure.<br />B) Checked timing with timing light and manual. Minor adjustments. Mechanical timing does advance at higher RPM, so looks OK.<br />C) Performed resistance check of regulator/rectifier. Looked OK.<br />D) Performed resistance check of light coil. Looked OK.<br />E) Performed resistance check of high and low sides of all 4 ignition coils. Looked OK.<br />F) Performed resistance check of CDI, and most measurements don't match book. Not sure if this points to CDI problem, after all the engine runs great up to 3200 RPM.<br />G) CDI has blue wire coming from within the CDI that connect to CDI terminal "over-rev". Thinking that this part of CDI might be bad, I disconnected it. No difference. 3200 RPM max.<br />H) Checked 2 temperature sensor switches. Both are open-circuit-like they should be.<br />I) Shorted 2 wires for each sensor and caused remote buzzer to sound. This confirmed wiring to the temp sensors and the buzzer.<br /><br />This one's got me stumped. I'm now at the end of the season, and getting ready to pull the boat out and drop off at a Yamaha repair place.<br />Before I do that, do any of you have any other ideas?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 115 3200 RPM Max

You've been pretty thorough and methodical but have you used a spark tester while running the engine on the water under normal load. I think that you are going to find that you are dropping one or more cylinders. If you can narrow it down to which ones you may be able to find the problem. Also some oil injected engines (a manual would tell you the specifics) with electronic ignitions will cut in a rev limiter if the engine overheats or if the oil injection system drops pressure (due to a clog in the line or oil filter) or senses a low oil level. It is also possible that if you have 1 with the rev limiters that a short or bug in the sensors can trip the system even if there is no problem.

errol_white

Recruit

jimd: Thanks for the response. I've been following a lot of the advice from those on this site before posing this to the group.<br /><br />This engine does have oil injection and will keep the engine at 2000 RPM if a fault is found. It is to be accompanied by a red lite in the Tach and a buzzer alarm. I've got lots of oil, in the local and remote tanks, and have no unusual lights or buzzers.<br /><br />Do you have a good way of measuring spark? I have a number of mechanical tools, and have a multimeter and scope but am not sure those will do. Would an auto store have what you suggest?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You can go to an autoparts store and buy a simple spark tester for $5-10 which lets you view the quality as well as the presence of the spark. You can also pull plugs (best to ground the loose plug) 1 at a time and see which cylinder isn't doing what its supposed to do.

errol_white

Recruit

One of the quick tests I did a while ago was to start the engine, pull each plug wire one at a time. No matter which wire I pulled the engine kept running. I kept my ear close and could hear the clear snap inside each shroud as I replaced it. I had assumed that all was OK. Are you suggesting that sometimes spark drops out at higher RPM?<br />I've started looking at inline ignition testers that contain bulbs. Some only have a gap, but I'm afraid that if the engine runs for too long without spark the CDI will be ruined. (The manual warns against not grounding plugs during compression testing) The bulb seems to allow current to flow more often.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I would be looking for spark problems that occur at higher rpms. You're right to ground any plug wires that you pull loose. The spark tester I have only tests 1 cylinder at a time and you can even ground to the spark plug so the cylinder still fires while you're looking at it.<br /><br />That hollow sound you describe sounds like a dead cylinder to me. You might also try squirting some premix in 1 carb at a time to see if it picks up any.