Seaman Apprentice
1989 Yamaha 40HP
2 Stroke
3 cylinder
3 carburetors
oil injected

General picture for reference:

IMG_20180421_133227_191.jpg

This post doesn't really have a goal. Just wanted to start a discussion on diagnosing a piston slap noise in the crankcase. I found a few old posts, but not a ton of info out there on this. If anyone has any comments, please feel free to contribute.

Have not torn anything apart yet. I'm working my way through a fuel issue and also trying to decide if the noise I'm hearing is a failed wrist/crank bearing. Trying to evaluate the condition of the outboard and decide if I will continue to run it or not.

Symptoms

Bogging/sluggish under load
Suspect fuel/carb issue

Also

Clanking/tapping at low and mid RPM.
Almost sounds like flywheel hitting starter gear but noise comes from crankcase. Doesn't do it at idle, or at WOT. Could just be drowing out the noise though at high RPM.

Suspect piston slap/worn crank bearing or wrist bearing-whatever ya call it. If that is the case I'll probably live with the noise and run it until she spontaneously disassembles.

Did compression test with engine cold, will do it warm later though.
Top and middle were 107.
Bottom was 98.

Plugs- Top to bottom is left to right.

24ct7r6.jpg

fuel filter- Very difficult to unscrew, good amount of floaty junk at the bottom.

20180508_055647.jpg

20180508_055708.jpg

So yeah I am not really asking for advice on anything specific, but very open to any feedback or comments if anyone has dealt with piston slap. Troubleshooting or experience with running an outboard with the condition and how long it ran afterwards. I am not considering tearing into the heads (would be my first) at least until summer is over. Anyways thanks for reading and happy boating.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the stated factory psi compression ? bottom cylinder is bit low on compression depending on which is the factory stated compression. On 2 strokes OB's when needle or ball bearings starts to wear there will be a slight castanet sound heard when at speed. Worry if there's something banging hard. OB can live with it till it's time for a complete overhaul.

When fuel filter cup enlarges on upper portion due to E fuels use are very hard to unscrew as you already have gone through that experience.

Happy Boating

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
have you considered it might be bad gas and what you hear is detonation

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if it is completely fresh gas and not a mix of old and new, it should not be your problem

you said you were dealing with fuel problems, so I had no idea what your problems were since you have all of that junk in the fuel system