wow talk about a POS battery..anyone ever bought MAXXXX everstart yellow batteries?

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought mine last aug..took the boat out 1 time with it and discovered I had a leaking gas tank didn't get to use it anymore since last aug.

so took the battery out and put it on a piece of wood for storage.

new custom tank etc is in today I de-winterized it and was gonna start it and let it run then change the oil...

the battery was dead, tried to charge it and it won't take a charge and has plenty of water.

taking it back in a minute..

it's a MAXXXX 29 trolling, deep cycle, starting battery.

should I get something else instead?

this goes in my 19ft ski boat with a mercruiser 350 in it...I don't use a trolling motor or anything but this battery was recommended to me last year.

thanks!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: wow talk about a POS battery..anyone ever bought MAXXXX everstart yellow batterie

I used one in the wife's van with no issues. I have three Optima's in my boat right now but I've also used a lot of marine batteries from Costco with great success.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: wow talk about a POS battery..anyone ever bought MAXXXX everstart yellow batterie

my dad has had one for 2 or 3 years and it is still going strong... I'm actually trying to find one right now for my boat. That is the only battery that he has had that has been any good. I think you just got a bad one.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've used them for years and have several right now. I had one go bad after the first year, it did the same thing as yours, it was replaced at N/C on the spot. The rest have been trouble free.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have used several Marine Maxx dual purpose big yellow batteries from Wal Mart for years with zero problems.

I don't know if that is what you are talking about, but they are definitely not POS batteries.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took it back tonight to walmart...

they first hooked up and it checked good...then they said well we have to see if it will take a charge before we exchange it.

10min later they said grab a new one..it was toast? no clue why but anyway got a new one I'll hook it up tomorrow!

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was told that WalMart was pretty good at having no hassles with exchanging bunk batteries. Every now and then you just end up with a dud...it happens. The MAXX's certainly are not POS batteries, sounds like you just got a bad one.

Also, just like with anything else at WalMart, they stock from back to front, first in, first out....when I went to go get my Everstart marine troling battery last week, I had to pull out 5 of them to get one that was manufactured this year....actually March 09, fresh off the truck. The other 5 had dates from June-September 08 on them....check the little white sticker on the side, it will show you when yours was made. Albeit the 'warranty' doesn't start until your date of purchase, but it's always good to know the battery's true age.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've been using them for years and have had generally good luck. In the last couple of years, however, I have noticed a higher incidence of problems. I've had several replaced and am thinking about moving to another brand.

That said, the problem with batteries is that there are only a few companies manufacturing them. I think the Everstart is a Johnson Controls battery and they also make a bunch of other private label brands, so there is a pretty good possibility of ending up with the same product with a different label on it.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmm...theres a johnson controls plant right near me.

markland

Recruit

I've got 3 of them in my boat and 1 in my truck as well. In fact the 2 I use for very occassional trolling motor use have been in the boat for 5-7 years and still run strong. I keep them charged when not is use and no problems. Have replaced the main starting battery twice in 7 years and just replaced the battery in my truck after 5 years. I would definitely say they are not "pos" batteries and you most likely got a bad one. Definitely have worked well for me! Mark

Nandy

Commander

I use them too with no problem. If you put a battery away it is a good idea to have a good battery charger connected to it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think that the comments on keeping batteries charged are excellent. Letting a battery discharge fully will kill it "lickity split!"

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I consider the deep cycle batteries Wal Mart sells JUNK.
In the bass fishing community they are referred to as "Neverstarts" instead of "Everstarts".
It seems half the guys have luck with them and the other half don't. I tried them a couple times and I got about half the life of other batteries I have used with the exact same maintenance routine.

They are manufactured by Johnson Controls but they are made very cheaply compared to other batteries in their lineup.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking of buying one, a group 29 maxx with top posts in addition to stud posts ? I think it was about $70, seemed like a reasonable price.
I recently bought 2 good group 27 duralast batteries from autozone for some boat storage moving vehicles, 900 cold cranks and 105 minute reserve capacity. $95

I know if I bought the wal*mart battery my dad would call it a neverstart, he hates that brand battery.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Did you charge the battery right after you used it last August.
Did you charge it one time a month durning the warm weather and every other month during the winter.

Any battery left discharge for even a short time with out recharging will be killed. Also all lead acid batteries self discharge. They discharge faster in warm weather than in cold weather so must be charged to keep them from going bad.

Any time a battery is discharged from use or self discharge damage is done and the life is shortened. Charge it on a regular schedule if you want it to last.

By the way no need to put it on a wood block any more.

So make sure the new battery is fully charged as soon as possible by a smart or automatic charger after every use. Charge once a month weather used or not and it will last a very long time.

I would suggest a automatic or smart charger of 10 amps or more.