Would you keep these batteries?

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took both of my batteries up to Advance Auto to get load tested because my multi-meter was showing them sitting at 12.0 and 12.1 while the analog meter on my load tester was showing them sitting at 13.0 and 13.1 and they are load testing fine on that gauge too, so there was a full volt discrepancy between the two. I didn't know which one was incorrect/correct so I figured I'd let Advance Auto be the tie breaker.

They hooked their load tester and before they did any testing one battery showed at 12.8 and the other at 12.7, so I know my multi-meter is most likely shot as the load tester was closer. So the voltage is perfect for both batteries, but then they did the load test.

The batteries are rated at 1100 MCA, so that's what they punch into the machine, then it does a load test. For one it said the actual MCA was 856 and the Result was to Replace Battery, and the second one load tested at 861 MCA and the obviously the result was the same.

So now my question is do I replace these batteries because the MCA tested low? 856 and 861 doesn't seem too bad to me and my engine has no problem at all starting and firing right off. As mentioned earlier I've tested specific gravity on all cells with a hydrometer on both batteries and they all test Good, no shorted or low cells, all are exactly the same.

I figure 1100 MCA is probably not true unless the battery is brand new (and maybe not even then) and since I think these batteries sat for a year and were never charged properly until I got them, they may be a little weak but again that MCA doesn't seem too bad to me. I assume the Amp Hr rating has gone down as well on these batteries, correct? I don't know the age of the batteries as there is no sticker on them that shows it.

What would you guys do, replace these or keep them? Will having the lower MCA affect/hurt my alternator at all, or is it strictly the cranking amperage that is affected. 12.7V and 12.8V seems pretty perfect to me, so I'm not sure if that's all that will affect the alternator or if the MCA will also.

Thanks again for all of the answers and any and all input is appreciated. Trying to learn as much about batteries as I can.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Would you keep these batteries?

What would you guys do, replace these or keep them? Will having the lower MCA affect/hurt my alternator at all, or is it strictly the cranking amperage that is affected. 12.7V and 12.8V seems pretty perfect to me, so I'm not sure if that's all that will affect the alternator or if the MCA will also.

If they are working fine and starting you boat ok and running your lights ect. I would just keep them until they really went. Batteries are not cheap. I would however put in a battery switch if you dont already have one so you can use just one when sitting and then switch back to both to start and charge (have this set up in my boat and we use battery one while sitting for half a day then switch to both when starting up to go for a ride). The switch really gives you piece of mind knowing that your not draining both batteries. Why fix something if its not broken. Just my 2 cents.

Also I dont think they will affect your alternator. Alternator just charges them while the boat is running.

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup they are on a switch already. I had my radio (FM) running on #2 for like 2hrs yesterday and it started the boat no problem (wanted to see if it would), then I switched back to ALL for the ride home.

Yeah I don't think the CA would affect the alt either, but wasn't sure. Yeah pretty sure I'm not getting rid of them. They sit at 12.7-12.8 and load tested fine on my load tester, start the engine fine and the alt charges nice at anything above 1500 RPM. Plus I usually keep a jumper box in the boat just in case.

Just wasn't sure if the MCA showing that low meant they were on their way out and how fast that would happen if they are.

Thanks.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah in your case I wouldnt worry. CA's can fluctuate a bit. And stickers are not always accurate. Like you said they work fine. Plus if you carry a jump box nothing to worry about at all. Box will start the motor and the alternator will keep the motor running. For example your motor will continue to run (as long as alternator is good) if you disconect the batteries after it is started.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Well that's not necessarily true, you'd be removing most of the resistance in the charging circuit and would do damage to a number of things relatively quick, it may continue to run but not safely and probably not for long.

The E-tec's are designed to run without a battery, but I don't think most other engines are. You wouldn't want to run your car/truck without the battery removed, something will get fried pretty quickly.

That being said I wouldn't worry about your batteries, if they are holding voltage well, they test fine on all cells with the hydrometer, start your engine fine, and your charging fine when running you should be ok. 90% of the boats out there probably don't have batteries that are perfect and the owner's have no idea, as long as they start the boat up.

At least you made sure they checked out.

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any other opinions, not on the running without a battery because I don't plan on ever doing that, but just on the condition of these batteries based on the tested MCA?

Thanks.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was not sugesting running for a long period of time with no battery but most older chevy motors will run with no battery if the alternator is good. If alternator is bad they will shut off when you disconect the battery. Dont ask me how I know this :facepalm:

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would really like to know what you guys think about the MCA being lower than it should be. Is it not a big deal?

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would really like to know what you guys think about the MCA being lower than it should be. Is it not a big deal?

It is not a big deal. If they are meeting your power requirements, all is well. Stay with them until they don't.