WOT

Knot Working

Seaman
Hi, I have a 23' walkaround Seafox with a 250HP Yamaha and fish offshore from 20 to 40 miles out. I have always chosen my days carefully and alway run WOT due to the distance to my favorite fish spots. I was recently told by a new fishing buddy that running WOT is terrible for my engine. Is this true? I have had this engine since '96 and it runs perfect. Should I be running at cruising speed? Thanks for any comments.<br /><br />M-

mattttt25

Commander
Re: WOT

i think you'll get lots of opinions on this topic. my personal one is that running wot won't exactly hurt your engine. but i have to believe that over time, your engine will break down quicker than one that is run constantly at a moderate cruising speed. just seems like common sense to me.

ZmOz

Captain

WOT certainly causes more wear on your engine, however, not per mile. An engine more or less lasts for a certain number of revolutions over it's lifetime. Obviously you're not going to get as many hours out of it at wot than you would at half throttle. It's not going to make much of a difference though, because at WOT you get to the fishing hole quicker. Going at half throttle might cause less wear on the engine (per hour) but it will take you twice as long to get there, so you're not really doing the engine a favor. Also outboards are designed to run most of their life at WOT, while an inboard or a car is not.

Knot Working

Seaman

Thanks ZMOZ,<br /><br />Those were my thoughts- plus the extra couple hours of fishing time has to be worth a little.<br /><br />M-

Clams Canino

Commander

And I dissagree slightly. I think an engine at WOT suffers a little more than one at cruise. Meaning that it may get a "few less" total miles than one that lived its life at cruise.<br /><br />In other words I'm sure there's an established curve for this, I just don't know what it is.<br /><br />I am sure that at WOT, your MPG goes way down though.<br /><br />-W

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Knot Working:<br /> I have had this engine since '96 and it runs perfect.<br />M-
Shouldn't THAT account for something?<br />Kinda like the old "If it ain't broke...."<br /><br />Dave

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Speaking of "aint broke".......<br /><br />I bet theres never been a coked up ring or any kind of carbon damage. Not because its been run wot all the time but because its set up right.<br /><br />If its set up right you can run 'em as hard as you like.

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All I have to say is .... those must be some calm seas if your going at em at 45+ mph in a 23 :eek: !

Knot Working

Seaman

Yes Jon Boater, As I said I pick my days very carefully, Seafoxes don't exactly handle anything more than 2 footers very well.<br /><br />M-

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm sure this will draw'em like bees ta honey, but what type of oil do you use????

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I think OMC used to recommend WOT less 10% for max performance plus long life.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

It's a very strong OPINION, but I think the idea that running an OB at WOT most of the time and believeing it will send you the same DISTANCE over it's lifetime is ludicrous. At least is appears that everyone agrees so far that the engine life time-wise would be reduced. But what wears down an engine so that it actually has a finite life? Friction? Stress on parts? I don't believe - matter of fact I would same it's common sense that these aging processes DO NOT increase simply proportionately with throttle. How many marathon runners would even make it to the finsih line if they sprint? Sure, apples to oranges but is it really?<br />DOn't get me wrong, I think running WOT frequently is almost mandatory to keeping an engine 'in shape' - but 100% of the time.<br />At the very least, you are going through all kinds of extra fuel.

KCLOST

Commander

My opinion, and that's just mine,<br />is that I rarely hear of an engine that just flat wore out! Most (not all, but most) find thier grave from a much more common reason....Neglect, poor maintenence, etc. I bet the odds of damaging an engine at WOT are slim to none with eveything working properly. Water pump, oil pump, stats, poppet, proper gas/oil mix, gaskets, the obvious...<br />Show me an engine that has never had any problems with the above and still wore out due to excessive WOT, and I'll bet you have to look hard. <br />A failure is rarely due to WOT running, rather something that went wrong while at WOT. If that makes sense...