WOT Range for 1979 Mercury 80 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
82
Recently rebuilt my 80 HP Merc w/ complete 'kit', runs like new!!:)

Question I have is what is WOT range for this motor??:confused:
Can't seem to find it online anywhere!:mad: Closest I could find
was for a 1979 115 HP and it was 4800 to 5300, would 80 HP be
the same??

Playing around w/ props to get best performance. Guy who rebuilt
it said 5300 to 5800 and recommended 5600 as optimum, but I can't
seem to reach that?!?
Using a 13/21 I max out at 5200 and seems to run good, tried a 13/19
and got up to 5400 but had to fight wheel, next gonna try a 13/17 which
should bring the RPM's up a bit more again, but will it try to rip the wheel
outta my hand even worse??:eek:

Just curious as to actual "Optimum WOT Range" for this engine, and should
I stick w/ the 13/21 and WOT of 5200 and boat handles pretty nicely.
BTW, It's on a 1984 Thundercraft 14' Runabout, spec weight was 625 lbs.,
should still be close to that.;)
 

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
82
Re: WOT Range for 1979 Mercury 80 HP

Thanx Gerry:)

Now that I've learned top WOT is 5500 and NOT 5800 as I was told,
I feel better about topping out at 5200, and she bounces just over
41 MPH on my new Lowrance HDS-5 w/ built in GPS. ;)
I'm quite happy with that performance, and I'm assuming running at
5200 won't have any 'ill effects' on the motor, am I safe in that regard??:confused:

Thanx again for your input! Bill.:)
 

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
1,004
Re: WOT Range for 1979 Mercury 80 HP

No it wont.5200 is fine,looks like youve hit your sweet spot.
 

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
82
Re: WOT Range for 1979 Mercury 80 HP

Thanx!! I'm happy with busting the 40 MPH ceiling.:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top