WOT problem

Hello everyone, I'm having an unsolvable issue with my 1989 Mercury 35hp 2-stroke tilt and trim motor. I have been having a specific issue of not being able to go full speed with my motor. The issue I've had is the motor is very finicky. It starts with my rough idle so I adjust the air/fuel mixture screw to adjust the idle so she idles smooth as glass. However when I'm starting the motor cold and I engage the idle advance to raise my rpm to start the motor it only moves the butterfly a little. It will start however it isn't what I have seen in my past motors as a high enough idle, so I will get the motor running and then lower the rpm to get the motor to idle at this point the motor dies instantly. I have adjusted the throttle linkage and spark advance and either it will have to have 2 settings with the air/fuel mixture screw, one for idle and the other for high rpm but it won't run both in one adjustment. So that's super frustrating but it gets worse once I can get it into forward then it will go about 3/4 throttle accelerating then it's like it hits a wall. Once I'm at WOT I might be going 5 mph which I have previously got this motor to run up to 27 mph. Now once I start backing off the throttle to 1/4 throttle it will just shut off. So let me tell you what I have eliminated as possible culprits. I have rebuilt the fuel pump and changed all the fuel lines with automotive rubber fuel lines not that EPA garbage I have a glass see-thru fuel filter before the carb I have completely cleaned it out. I have also rebuilt the carb with new gaskets and needle and seat, I have tested the compression and both cylinders are exactly 150 psi which I called a marine tech and asked if that was too high of compression and if there ever was such a thing and he said no that's really good compression. I have checked to make sure that the throttle blade was going full open and it is. I'm lost I'm not sure what to do now I just cleaned the carb again yesterday, any help would be mush appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check for spark.----Sounds like it is running on 1 cylinder.----Good spark must be able to jump a 3/8" gap.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your motor has a specific setting for spark advance, when throttle is closed, but ready to open. It also has a spec for max spark advance. These need to be set precisely to avoid engine damage and allow proper operation.

I would therefore recommend you perform a link and synch. A OEM service manual will give the detailed procedure.

So I went home on my lunch break and checked spark on both cylinders and sure enough, the bottom of the two cylinders has no spark. I should have known something was wrong when I did my compression test and the bottom cylinder spark plug was like new with no carbon buildup at all on it. So my question is now if I have spark on one cylinder but not the other what would you suggest what could be the culprit? Should I pull the flywheel and check the Stator or just replace the coil for that down cylinder?

So after swapping coils I have confirmed that coil 2 is not getting spark. At this point I'm thinking this is a CDI issue. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
So after swapping coils I have confirmed that coil 2 is not getting spark. At this point I'm thinking this is a CDI issue. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Highly likely but check spark plug wires, connections including grounds and continuity through wires.

Does anyone know where or how I can get a reapir manuel for this motor? I have searched the internet and came up short.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might find something on e-Bay The 40 HP might be close enough. Try to stick with OEM manuals.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. I’d check that you’re getting a charge from the engine back to battery.