Worth putting in new bearings or buy a new hub?

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What do you guys think? How would I even start getting through to the actual bearings or should I just get a new hub?

This trailer goes in salt water a lot, not sure when the bearings were last done either.

Attachments

• photo239946.PNG
    photo239946.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

airshot

Rear Admiral
From the pic I think that looks pretty self explanatory.....time for new hubs!! I can't believe they still turn...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take it apart and clean it up. Kinda hard to tell what to do at this point unless the hub is actually worn off where the dist cap goes.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Start soaking everything with PB Blaster or anything. It's going to be a bear to loosen the rusted lug nuts and spindle nut.

robert graham

Admiral
You get new hubs for about $50 each....includes everything brand new!.....gotta be the easiest way to go.....

Maclin

Admiral
Well, you have to "get through to the actual bearings" at some point to get the old hub off, take an assessment then, just sayin'... ;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I'd say you have more issues then just hubs there. Seem the wheels look suspect as well. And the lug nuts, who knows what size there are now. A serious refurbishing need to take place in my opinion. :eek:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I wouldnt even bother trying to repair it.
I am sure the spindle doesnt look any better than what is in the picture.
I would bet a new axle is in your future.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have seen way worse and all it needed was new bearings and races. Just have to compare the price of a new hub to new bearings/races and lug/bolts.

Curious if that is a drum or a plain idler hub.

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the advice guys I'll get some photos once I've taken it apart a bit more.
​The tyres are finished, side wall is all cracked which is why new tyres / wheels / hub seems like the best option.

I'll get some photos of the axle once the wheel is off probably over the weekend... depends how much pb blaster I need!

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought some new hubs with bearings, lug nuts and races installed from www.trailerdepot.com for $29. They did not come with the axle nuts and it looks like you might need some. They also have the axle nuts for $1.50. I also snagged a new set of 20.5 x 10 x 8 tires on rims on Ebay for $106 shipped. Looking at the picture you might not get the lug nuts off. I think I would remove the axle nut, pull the bearings to measure them and toss the tires, rims, and hubs and start fresh.

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
From the looks of it....take your time, pull the whole hub off, and inspect the axle spindle. If it is not corroded and be cleaned up, purchase new hubs/bearing kits, along with a new axle nut and washer. You might have to buy a whole new axle is everything is as bad looking as your picture.

Last edited:

Mosketer

Recruit
While I've never seen galvanized springs (galvanizing probably pops off with flexing) you can prevent your springs, frame, wheels, nuts, etc. from rusting by applying a coat of used or cheap automotive oil to everything you don't want to rust. I use waste/used oil and an old hand towel and just slather it on. My trailer is 12 years old and nothing is rusting yet and I do 90% of my fishing in salt water. Each spring I'll bring my oil in a gallon paint can with the rag inside and after fishing when the trailer has had a chance to dry off, I coat the whole thing before loading the boat. It does leave a light brown sheen on it, but that's better than a red/rust coating. Just make sure to bring clean up GoJo and towels. You can also do it right in your driveway, but it's much easier and quicker to do it without the boat on the trailer than all that crawling around on the ground.