Worst boating day of my life

cheejudo

Seaman
So i just got home from deployment this morning.. took the boat to the lake... and everything fell apart ... on the way to the lake mmy hub on my trailer busted.. I put the boat in the water and as I was pulling away, the ****ing wheel fell off.. so we called a wrecker and hee said he would come get the trailer later on... so we decided to take the boat out. First time out. Boat ran so nice.. got up on plan easy (we were worried because the front of the boat comees up pretty high while gettin on plane lol) so we are cruising on the lake and BAM! apparently we hit the only mound that is somehow in the middle of the lake almost.. with no identification...

After we hit it, the prop would not spin in forward or reverse. so we were stuck in the middle of a lake. we paddled until a Cop towed us. I called some boat store and he had me ccheck the clutch cable to see if i could put it in gear manually.. no luck. another guy says when the prop hit the mound it grinded the splines and stripped them? another guy told me to bring him the prop to check it out... either way i have no trailer, and no way to pull my boat out of the water... the cops said i could keep it docked over night... i dont know what to do...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Worst day of my life

I guess it could have been worse,If the wheel left you while going fast on a curve or highway.

emoney

Commander

Start asking everybody you know who owns a boat to borrow their trailer. There's plenty out there, you've just gotta dig for it. Now, it couldn't be the "worst" day because of the way you started the thread....."....just got BACK from deployment..". That right there puts you ahead of some! It'll all come together in the end. It's just part of the joy of boating. We have to have these kinds of days to keep us grounded, otherwise we'd all be a nation of unemployed people because we'd never want to leave the water!!

ziggy

Admiral

any chance ya can fix the trailer at the boat ramp?

i smoked a wheel brg. a couple seasons ago. while a pain to do. with trips to town very time consuming. sometimes it (trailer repair)can be done (depending on how bad it is). perhaps if ya get what ya need. ya can do the deed at the ramp????

one small saving grace. like you, my boat was off the trailer too. made it easier to work on the trailer.... :rolleyes: i'd have rather done it at home... fwiw. i grease my wheel brgs. (disassmble, clean, and new waterproof grease) yearly now.... hind sight ya know...

good luck..

cheejudo

Seaman

any idea what might be wrong with the lower unit

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You may have "spun the hub" on the prop. There is a rubber/plastic piece that connects prop to spline shaft. It is designed to be a sacrificial piece to prevent damage to your lower unit. Some props have replaceable hub and some you have to have replaced by prop shop.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The worst day of your life?!? You made it home safely from deployment, and a (even a bad) day boating was the worst?

Thank you for all you have given. Karma will pay out later. It always does.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome back, and thank you for your service.

Can you spin the prop at all by hand?

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your service to our country.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Regarding the "what to do about the boat on the water and no trailor" Call your insurance company and see if they can help. Is there a marina nearby?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

The worst day of your life?!? You made it home safely from deployment, and a (even a bad) day boating was the worst?

Thank you for all you have given. Karma will pay out later. It always does.

REALLY...I will trade your worst day with mine any time ! Actually its perhaps just your worst day boatn.??? Welcome home soldier... From Paul the squid;):D

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

when i first got my boat i hit something and turned out that i broke the lower unit drive shaft. that cost me alot so i just ended up getting a rebuild lower unit. good luck.
these things happen and it really kills your mind running around begging for some help.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lessons learned:
(1) Bearing Buddies on your trailer -- regularly maintained with 20 seconds each of grease a couple times a year -- prevent wheels from falling off.
(2) Buying a chart and studying it to know where the shallows are before you launch will avoid damage to the boat.

It wasn't the worst day. The worst day is when someone is injured on your boat and you can't get them back to shore.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

First of all, thank you for your service to our fine country, do you have insurance for the boat and trailer, on mine, I have towing insurance and collision. If you hit something in the water, it should be covered under your collision insurance, and you may find you have towing coverage as well. If you can get the boat back on the trailer, a flatbed wrecker will come and drag the whole mess onto the bed and drop it wherever you like. Happened to me once and did not cost a dime. If you do not have insurance, well, lesson learned, get it, it is only a hundred bucks or so a year and would have paid for itself in spades after this day.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome home Soldier and Thank you for your service. I hope you get your boat back on the water soon. From a former Squid and Tanker.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Once you get it out of the water drain the lower and see what comes out, that will tell you alot about what you are looking at.

You want to look for peices of metal, also spin the prop by hand and listen and feel how it turns, my first impression is you blew up the clutch dog or a gear but either way it probably isn't good.

Can't be a spun hub , even the worst hub will still turn the prop and they normally only slip at higher sleeds not sitting still.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

All I can add is thank you for your service, and don't be to hard on things your home now so laugh it off and enjoy the season!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I added the word "boating" to your thread title so we wouldn't think your whole family was killed today or something.

Thanks for your service and good luck with your issues.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Get rid of that avatar and some of us Texans just might help ya out! ;) Ft Sill is only a stones throw away from the Texas border.

What lake are you on, Lake Lawtonka?