Working on a Chris Craft, cover material

Repostyle

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a fiberglass Chris Craft 21' open bow. My question is about covers, I don't have a full cover for storage yet, just a tarp. But I want to make some tonneau covers for the cabin and bow sections. How weather resistant is Sunbrella? Can I hose the duck "leavins" off without getting the inside wet? Or the occassional summer rain showers. How much will it stretch and sag over time? Any other recomendations for material? It's very difficult to "tarp" it since it will spend the summer in the water tied to my floating home. I'm on a budget also so keep that in mind. I don't want egyption cotton and I also don't really want vinyl. I realize nothing is water proof, just looking for the best protection for the money. I would like to stay in the $15-25 range per yard.

Also, any advice on making the covers? Should I make them a little small because they will stretch or big cause they'll shrink?

Thank in advace

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Working on a Chris Craft, cover material

How weather resistant is Sunbrella?

Ayuh,... It's hands down the Best....

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I personally haven't used it but know several who has, and had nothing but praise for it. Cut it all to fit, shrinkage and expansion isn't a problem. This is a really good product, I know of some that has been in the sun for several years will little to no fading and still sound.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I just made a few things out of Sunbrella. (Bimini top, cushion covers, etc.) I'm very impressed with it. I'd read that you should use a commercial sewing machine but I had no trouble sewing it with a standard home machine.

Now that you mention it I need to make a tonneau cover for my flybridge controls.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Most boats come stock with sumbrella .. It is the best as far as breathing and water resistant that I personally know of ( I will check with some of the canvas guys around town to be sure ) .

YD.

Repostyle

Cadet

Sunbrella it is then. Sounds like as long as I make it right it should last a long time so with a little "learnin" on the sewing machine from my Mom it should be good.