Workbench in Garage

eeboater

Commander
I'm looking to build a workbench in my garage this weekend. Anyone build any inexpensive yet sturdy workbenches? If so, you wouldn't happen to have some plans? :D <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Sean

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Workbench in Garage

My dad built one about 30+ years ago. He still uses it today and it is as sturdy as day one. I think the plans came from either Outdoor Life, Field and Stream or Popular Science. I would be willing to bet the first one.<br /><br />I'm pretty sure he lost the plans a long time ago.<br /><br />AK Chappy

spratt

Lieutenant

I have built one, it was designed for woodworking but should work for anything...I will look for the plans when I get home...tehre are also some very good free plans out there!! Do a google search for free workbench plans...it will surprise you!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Another option is to go your local library and see what they have. I went thru this very procedure a few years back. Soem of the back issues of WorkBench, Woodworker, etc., had free plans inside that you can copy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Go to a salvage yard and pickup an old solid core door for the bench top.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Most of the big home centers have plans and hardware kits for workbenchs. My BIL built a real nice one from Home Depo plans.

spratt

Lieutenant

yes, boomy, that is an excellent idea, but also if you layer a fiberboard top on that, as it gets beat up it can be replaced easily. Ya don't wanna be drilling thru the door top...or hammering it up, or spilling on it or wahtever...

spratt

Lieutenant

Mine was similar with some mods, like two drawers under teh top. I also made my top from 2x4's laminated together, very heavy and solid.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I built one like the Hamer Zone plan, but I added a piece of MDF to the top to give a nice hard/smooth surface. Worked oput great.

Link

Rear Admiral

Might look around here<br /> http://www.woodmagazine.com/ <br /><br />And I Have plans for a dirt cheap workbench "build it in one day" haha<br /><br />Have it scanned in and could email it to you

eeboater

Commander

Hey link:<br /><br />Can you email me a copy? <br /><br />kanesean at gmail dot com<br /><br />Thanks!!!<br /><br />Sean

ndemge

Commander

In my garage:<br /><br />2 6x6's going from side to side, with 6x6 post in the middle where the 2 join, and one on each side.<br /><br />bandboard of 2x6 on back wall of garage nailed into the studs.<br /><br />then 2x6 long way from back wall to front of 6x6<br /><br />Can hammer on ANYTHING on this bench and it simply DOES NOT MOVE<br /><br />I had a large supply of 3' 2x6's, so that is why I have the 2x6 top, and I got the 6x6's for free.<br /><br />But if were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same.

one more cast

Captain

Mine is like the one you posted ee with the addition of 2 more legs, cross supports every 16" and a solid top made from 2x6's under the plywood. I like a work bench that will hold up to pounding.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you will mount a vise, I suggest a workbench hung off the wall. It is cheap too, just regular 2x4's and plywood for the top.<br /><br />Build a fram with 2x4, screw it to the wall, run 2x4 from base to lower part of wall, no legs to trip on.<br /><br />Ken

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Link,<br />Could you send that to me also?<br /><br />kcchappy (AT) gci.net<br /><br /><br />AK Chappy

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you build one out of wood now ... you can purchase a piece if thin stainless steel at a later date to cover the top. The stainless is non sparking and a great work top. It can be cleaned with almost any solution nicely.<br /><br />For a temporary hard smooth surface the MDF or thinner masonite works good.<br /><br />Bob