Wood that does NOT react with fiberglass

Bifflefan

Commander
Im making a trolling motor mount and some gunwale steps.
I cant afford Teak (unless I have to), what wood is not going to react with the fiberglass?
I know there is epay (cant spell that) but is oak or something else a good choice?
It can be replaced every couple years if needed but I dont want to tear up the glass. It also needs to be strong enough to mount the trolling motor to and hang off the bow about 6".
Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wood that does NOT react with fiberglass

"what wood is not going to react with the fiberglass? "

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Bifflefan

Commander

Like treated wood will degrade fiberglass (i know its the chemicals).
Will wood like Oak or Cherry or other hard woods not treated do the same thing?
Some have oils and other things that are corrosive to other woods and such, just wondering if I can use any wood or not.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You can fiberglass over most anywood (can't imagine why you'd want to ruin a beautiful piece of cherry with it), but you could. Also, treated lumber can be glassed as well as long as it's dry out really well (PT is not my personal choice for anything), but again, most any wood will adhere with fiberglass resin.

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although I am not sure what you are asking about the treated plywood+fiberglass chemisty but there are a few good options availible that are more economical than teak...

1. you can laminate CDX plywood (exterior grade, not treated) and wrap it in glass.

2. If you want to use a hardwood white oak is a good choice as far as price and duribility. Many guys on the Glen-L forums use it to build there frames from. Just be certian that you get white oak and not red oak. You will have to go to a saw mill or real lumber yard to find this.

3. Longleaf yellow pine is a good subsitute for for white oak. Just be certain to stay away from the sapwood as the heartwood is much more decay resistant.

4. Mahogany is considered a staple in boat building, but price and availabilty can very.

Hope this helps

-Mike

Bondo

Staff member

Like treated wood will degrade fiberglass (i know its the chemicals).

Ayuh,... That's an Aluminum problem, Not fiberglass...

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fully cured fiberglass is incredibly inert - it doesn't react with anything. Not even battery acid (ask me how I know LOL)!