Wood seat and doghouse epoxy and glass...which one?

shioner2001

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at rebuilding the seats and doghouse in my 87 Four Winns 170 Horizon. My question is about the sealing of the wood that I use to construct both of those. I have read many many posts about epoxying and glassing, but am curious about specific products for these.

Seats: These will need to be epoxied to prevent water from rotting them, but do they also need a layer of glass (for protection or strength)? I am talking about the hinged bow seats in the attached photo.

Doghouse:
I read a great post about someone on iboats who made their own doghouse from scratch. I am thinking about doing that as well as mine seems a bit flimsy. It will be a little more involved than some that I have seen because the top half flips open for access, as well as the whole thing folding over for full access. My question is about the epoxying and glassing process on this piece. First, you epoxy it to seal it from the elements, and then glass it for rigidity and strength, correct? Also, what epoxy and glass and where do I get them? There are a ton of these products for sale on iboats, but I have no idea what I am looking for. Are these products available at the local Home Depot as well?

Thanks alot for everyone's help with the questions I have come up with as a new boat owner so far.

Attachments

• IMGP1039.jpg
    IMGP1039.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wood seat and doghouse epoxy and glass...which one?

For your project I would stay with a polyester resin. Less expensive, still has great strength.
You seats don't necessarily need a layer of mat, just a good coating of resin, both side and the edges as well.
For the engine cover build it first - then apply your resin and mat. You'll need to be a little stronger where the top and sides are joined. Think of sitting on a cardboard box - where does it fail first?
And yes, you can usually find all your resin and mat at most big box stores. Remember to pick up some latex gloves, acetone and a few chip brushes. A small mat roller is nice but not necessary. Oh yea, wear some clothes that you can throw away. Don't care how careful you are, you're gonna' get resin on you.
Probably a couple of other item's I've forgotten to mention but that should get you started.