Wood Floors in Salon

KSorber

Cadet
I have a ’00 Luhrs 36’ convertible, so I would not call it a “project” boat but I am guessing that the folks in this forum would have the best information for me.<br /><br />The salon in the boat has your standard cheap tan indoor carpet that you would use in your house or apartment. We always take our shoes off when coming in from the cockpit, but in any case it has already become dinghy and is beyond a good steam cleaning. We have tried putting down rugs, but throw rugs on carpet do nothing but bunch up and cause more problems than they fix. I have been debating about tearing out the carpet and putting in wood floors. Since this is inside the salon where there is already indoor carpet moisture should not be a problem. I can’t see this being any different than the entryway to a house; except for the flexing that is inherit to any boat. I was thinking that since the floor is made up of several hatches this would be enough to counteract any flexing of the floor. However, would I want to nail and/or glue each plank down to resist all movement, or would I be better off floating the and only attaching it at the ends to let the deck flex beneath it?<br /><br />Any thoughts or comments on the entire project or the installation method would be appreciated.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Wood Floors in Salon

a good "floating" hardwood floor should work well.<br />plastic runners will keep carpet clean and won't<br />move.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.