Wood finish question

muskie guy

Cadet
I'm new to the board and have a Starcraft SS that I've installed a new floor in. I need to replace the plywood panels that are on each side. I'd like to leave them a natural finish but need something more durable than spar varnish. I've thought about using Etex or something similar to it. Should I be looking for something else? Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Wood finish question

Welcome aboard.

A few of us have used epoxy first then applied a few coats of varnish. The epoxy does not have uv protection and the varnish will afford some protection. My side panels are covered in vinyl on my SS

robert graham

Admiral

I've used a clear polyurethane, thinned out some so it penetrates the wood real well, let it dry and apply several coats with a brush, being sure to seal up the ends real well. Probably be better to do this before you mount these wood panels in your boat. It looks good and holds up great, and maybe once a year or so go back and check/re-apply to keep it protected and looking good. Good Luck!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Not sure what they are using though I know that the folks today building wood canoes and kayaks are glassing them over and I've seen a few at shows that you can't even tell they've been glassed. Might want to do a searc on building wood kayaks and see what they are actually doing.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used mini wax wood stain from Lowes and it has the polyurethane mixed in with the stain.

I put it on about 1 year ago and it still looks great.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would look into Minwax's Helmsmans .. I had good luck with this ( I did however put on 7 coats ..3 coats..sand/scuff..3 coats..sand/scuff..one final nice finish coat ) .

YD.

muskie guy

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas! Now if the weather would cooperate I might get this finished.