Wood Boat Dilema

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old wooden boat called a Bosarge. Well I was in it this weekend and when i put it in the lift I noticed an area where two peices of ply wood butt together. Well there is about a 3"x5" area where that ply butts together where a little bit of one layer of the ply peeled back. Just one layer which is no biggie, no waters gettin in. I can remove what has peeled, and any other loose wood along that joint. But what should I fill the area with? It is about 1/4" deep, on a vertical surface. I should have taken pics but I lost my memory card. Anyway I dont want to use filleting blend b/c I find it hard to fair and since this is a vertical surface i am afraid it would sag. Would that InterProtect Watertite stuff work? What do yall think. Thanks!!!!!!!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Wood Boat Dilema

before you peel top layer, try a good thick epoxy<br />to re-glue. I would then put a couple small temp.<br />screws in till it hardens, then a good coat of<br />epoxy on top. this is assuming it's just de-laminated<br />and not soft/rotten...<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

crab bait

Captain

yeah,like MY said.. go to a good tool store like woodworkers warehouse.. or call around .. even hobby shops.. an buy a/some glue syringes ( throw-away ).. an inject the THICKEND epoxy..

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A little bit of wood fell off in the process so if I glued it back down there would be missing wood. If everything was still intact that would be the way to go but I dont think I can go with that method. Thanks!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

first re-laminate as described above, then use<br />some filler in epoxy to fill any voids.