Woo Hoo! We are streaming live!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
After several arduous crawls 60 ft under the house, drilling holes into the wall and down thru the floor plate, fishing cat 5 cable up into the two new wall jacks, making up 6 male and female R45 jacks, and finally going thru the new BluRay/DVD player set up, we finally got our first streamed Netflix movie. Pretty slick.

I know I could have gone wireless but everything else in the house operates via Cat5 cable. So I ran the new line from the main computer system, back under and up to the TV area. Naturally the area I needed to access, under the house, was the busiest area with all the heater ducts and added beam supports for the upstairs part of the house.

I also could have done the streaming with a new TV but our old 52" rear projection Toshiba is just too good to toss out.

Now after all that work, all I need to do is to figure what else I can use that new hookup to the TV for. Must be something I can do, huh?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Woo Hoo! We are streaming live!!

Congrats! My wireless sucks for movies, too slow. Cable is worth it!

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

aha...how I avoided running wires was this, I bought a wireles-N (1gb/s speed) gaming adapter that plugs into the PS3, and I bought a Cisco Gigabyte Wireless-N router. I was getting chopped visual and audio with the old wireless-g technology, as soon as I upgraded the network, no more chop. Plus I can stream TRUE HD movies that I download that are massive bandwidth hogs, but no chop.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

aha...how I avoided running wires was this, I bought a wireles-N (1gb/s speed) gaming adapter that plugs into the PS3, and I bought a Cisco Gigabyte Wireless-N router. I was getting chopped visual and audio with the old wireless-g technology, as soon as I upgraded the network, no more chop. Plus I can stream TRUE HD movies that I download that are massive bandwidth hogs, but no chop.

Yabut korygrandy, how much did all that stuff cost you? My costs were about 16$ for all the wall boxes, cover plates and R45 fittings (already had the cable) and a couple of chaffed knees and elbows.:p