wont trim up under load

Bal2580

Recruit
Hi I have a 2002 2 stroke 60hp elpto that wont trim up under load. it trims fine when at low speed. i have put 350 lbs on the motor out of the water and it operates fine. when cycling the trim in and out it does have a point that it hesitates but no imperfections on the ram rod.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should move this post to the appropriate engine repair section. Some motors do not trim, but have tilt. Some have trim and tilt.

What motor do you have?

Bal2580

Recruit
You should move this post to the appropriate engine repair section. Some motors do not trim, but have tilt. Some have trim and tilt.

What motor do you have?
Sorry Chris it didn't give the option for engine repair. I posted wht it is its a mercury 60hp elpto power trim outboard

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
First I would verify that the fluid level is correct. Second, if under warranty, have a certified mechanic check the pump. If not under warranty, have a certified mechanic check the pump.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could be crud in the check valves. Could be cylinder blow by. Could be pump is failing.

Bal2580

Recruit
Could be crud in the check valves. Could be cylinder blow by. Could be pump is failing.
Thank you. I think I'll limp it along as the season is almost over. Hopefully I can find a rebuild kit.
Could be crud in the check valves. Could be cylinder blow by. Could be pump is failing
I am pretty mechanically inclined i will look at a rebuild kit. do you have experience with these trim assembly's? have you taken one apart or rebuilt one. is it a tough job? I've googled it and it looks pretty simple just whether I can get the parts still. thanks for the help everyone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you. I think I'll limp it along as the season is almost over. Hopefully I can find a rebuild kit.

I am pretty mechanically inclined i will look at a rebuild kit. do you have experience with these trim assembly's? have you taken one apart or rebuilt one. is it a tough job? I've googled it and it looks pretty simple just whether I can get the parts still. thanks for the help everyone.
its just a simple hydraulic pump. not much to them

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I am pretty mechanically inclined i will look at a rebuild kit. do you have experience with these trim assembly's? have you taken one apart or rebuilt one. is it a tough job?
The worst part is getting the unit off the motor and on to the bench.

The removal of the top pin out of the cylinder can be a pain.

methods vary, but had to remove the side engine bracket from the boat to remove unit on my 175hp

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are at least 3 different engine models or that year and HP. That unit is likely a single cylinder and can be power or mechanical. The mechanical version of the trim unit is powered by the accumulator.

I would recommend to the OP that he match his unit up on the Crowleymarine site or something similar. He then can order parts.

Bal2580

Recruit
Hi yes its a single cylinder and power. I will check it against that site thanks.

LARRYHUB

Seaman Apprentice
EDIT: Please start your own thread.

Last edited by a moderator: