won't fire up

mca1634

Cadet
i couldn't get my 200 merc 2000 to start. battery is good. it's turning over but just won't start. i tried starter fluid in the plugs at the ramp so i could get out, no luck. my next step is to see if i have a spark. never had a problem, always started right away... any ideas?

Laddies

Banned
Re: won't fire up

If it didn't fire on starter fluid which (YOU SHOULD NEVER USE) it probably don't have spark so start by disconnecting the black/yellow wire at the switchboxes if that don't help get back we can give you a ign. system test.

mca1634

Cadet

disconnect the black or yellow wire and what, try starting it?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The black wire with the yellow trace is the ignition kill wire which grounds the ignition module, shutting down the ignition when the switch is turned OFF.

Disconnect this wire where it connects to the ignition module then test for spark.

You COULD try to start it, however you would NOT be able to shut it down without running it out of fuel or grounding this wire. CAREFUL, it bites! You do NOT want to get to close to the end of this wire while it is running.

mca1634

Cadet

apparently the 1st battery did not have enough juice the fire. I think it was just fooded and the 1st battery got drained enough to not allow a spark. i swithched to the 2nd battery and it fired right up. thanks for the imput.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Great deal, Must have so many volts to fire. Also you should never use starting fluid. Like said above, It can do harm to that thing.
Glad it worked out for you happy and safe boating. Tim