wobble tire

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased this boat and trailer and a cop pulled me over and said, "License and registration please." I provided that and the he said, the reason I pulled you over is your right tire on the trailer is wobbling and I don't want that coming off on the highway and causing all kinds of paper work for me."

Well, maybe he was nicer than that but I like to embellish. Anyway, I checked it out and the bearings and everything is ok but the rim must be bent a tad and there is about a 3/8th inch wobble in the tire because of the rim.

It does not cause any towing problem, the boat and trailer does not wobble, just the tire.

Question: Is this going to cause a problem in the long run or can I just continue along blissfully this way?

Question 2: Is it possible to straighten a rim or will I need a new one?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: wobble tire

It will eventually cause uneven tire wear and premature bearing failure. Trailer rims are generally pretty cheap. I'd just go ahead and replace it. If you wanted to save a couple of bucks you might consider swapping the rim in the spare for the rim on the ground. Just a thought.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen that on more than one occasion the center hole on a wheel would not fully fit over the hub. Making so that when all tightened it did not fully (and squarely) seat upon the flange of the hub.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

so in that case a new rim would not help. Or is it a rim problem? Or do I need a new hub?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need a new hub. You need to jack up the trailer, spin the wheel by hand and actually check what is needed. More than likely all you need is a new wheel. And NO -- you cannot go on your merry way as-is. That wobble is creating all sorts of stress on the bearings. The wheel was probably bent by driving over a curb. For all you know the lug nuts are just loose. If they were, you still need a new wheel because the holes are now elongated and the nuts will no longer stay tight.

robert graham

Admiral

I had a wobbly wheel once and it turned out to be the tire tread had seperated from the tire carcass! not good, so check your tires as well as wheels!

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is only three points of contact for the boat trailer to remain safely behind one's vehicle. The hitch and both sides of the trailer where the tires meet the road. It amazes me how many people short change themselves in these points of contact and risk their entire investment for the sake of saving some money that they would rather spend on accessories.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone. Its a new trailer and boat so the damage isn't bad right now but will take corrective action as set forth above.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's a NEW trailer and boat, take it back to the dealer and tell them that you was pulled over for that condition. I would think that the dealer would have to make good on it.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are correct. I am kind of ashamed but the dealer has put so much work in the engine, taring it all down to replace the oil pump etc, I was going to fix the wheel myself.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

As it turns out the tires on the trailer are 13 years old. They were setting in the dealers lot all these years and have rot on the walls of the tire. The tred looks great. sidewalls suck.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

There is only three points of contact for the boat trailer to remain safely behind one's vehicle. The hitch and both sides of the trailer where the tires meet the road. It amazes me how many people short change themselves in these points of contact and risk their entire investment for the sake of saving some money that they would rather spend on accessories.

'Ya know, I never thought of it that way ^^^ and I'm usually fairly safety-minded. Thanx for kickin' my brain :p

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Technically, rotted sidewalls or not it is still the rubber that meets the road. I have learned a lot through this whole thing. The boat is beautiful but for some reason it sat at a dealer for years then a smaller boat repair place purchased a bunch of these boats that have been setting around. Mine sat for 13 years so there were problems with the engine I should have known about and I should have known tires that old would be a problem. Well I know now. I still think overall I got a good deal on the boat and now that the engine has been torn down and put back togehter at dealer expense and tested and the tires and bearing are good I have a good rig. Finally. I't only the end of June and I purchased this in September of 2009.