FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have three carbs from a 88 model 70hp. that the air correction screws were removed prior to cleaning. Looking at the clymer manual, these should not be changed from the factory setting. Anyone have experience in how to adjust these?
That is correct for the idle mixture screw. However there is a calibration "screw" opposite the idle mixture which is preset by the factory and should not be removed. Not really sure what it is for and have never seen any specs on it.
dusky, If you inadvertantly removed the calibration screw, let me make a suggestion. Set the screw to the lightly seated position. If the motor doesn't perform well, start opening it a bit until you get decent performance. Alternatively, If you set it at some aproximate spot, and the motor doesn't run right, you will not know which way to turn it!
thanks, I adjusted the idle screws to 1-1/2 and then started with the cal. screws. I kept adjusting them both until it seems ok (with the muffs). I'll try it in the water soon, I hope.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Mike
I just did the same thing today....because the carb rebuild kit came with a new screw.
I then found out that you're not supposed to remove the original.
Go figure.
Here's what I found from the service manual:
Idle air screw is preset by the manufacturer and is
NOT for field service. If the idle air screw should become
misadjusted, set air screw at 1/4 TURN OUT
from a LIGHTLY SEATED position.
Look at post #5. And he hasn't been back since, so how will you know if it worked? I have to guess it did because he never came back. That's one of the reasons for not posting to old threads. It's best to start your own thread.
They said:
"I adjusted the idle screws to 1-1/2 and then started with the cal. screws. I kept adjusting them both until it seems ok (with the muffs)."
You are correct that we don't know what worked for him. We do know that an adjustment of 1 1/2 is far off from a 1/4 adjustment.
Starting a new thread does nothing but use up server space.
Posting repeat topics / subjects, driving up your posting count and filling up the forum with bubblegum is not the way to go.
What if someone else is recently working on a WME carb? It's good to see all the info that you can find.
Using the search function and finding this old thread is the way we're supposed to use the forum.
Commenting on the same subject that someone has already posted, even if it its an old thread (that's why it's called a thread) does nothing but help those who subscribe and those who troll for information.
If it's not archived then it's an active thread.