WME carb air correction screw adjustment

scott8733

Recruit
I have three carbs from a 88 model 70hp. that the air correction screws were removed prior to cleaning. Looking at the clymer manual, these should not be changed from the factory setting. Anyone have experience in how to adjust these?

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WME carb air correction screw adjustment

That is correct for the idle mixture screw. However there is a calibration "screw" opposite the idle mixture which is preset by the factory and should not be removed. Not really sure what it is for and have never seen any specs on it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

dusky, If you inadvertantly removed the calibration screw, let me make a suggestion. Set the screw to the lightly seated position. If the motor doesn't perform well, start opening it a bit until you get decent performance. Alternatively, If you set it at some aproximate spot, and the motor doesn't run right, you will not know which way to turn it!

scott8733

Recruit

thanks, I adjusted the idle screws to 1-1/2 and then started with the cal. screws. I kept adjusting them both until it seems ok (with the muffs). I'll try it in the water soon, I hope.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Mike

Dallenx

Seaman Apprentice

I just did the same thing today....because the carb rebuild kit came with a new screw.
I then found out that you're not supposed to remove the original.
Go figure.

Here's what I found from the service manual:

Idle air screw is preset by the manufacturer and is
NOT for field service. If the idle air screw should become
misadjusted, set air screw at 1/4 TURN OUT
from a LIGHTLY SEATED position.

I'm not touching the screws on the other carbs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Come on - This is an 8 year old thread.

Dallenx

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it is, but we never got an answer to what worked.
Isn't that why we're here....to share information and help each other?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at post #5. And he hasn't been back since, so how will you know if it worked? I have to guess it did because he never came back. That's one of the reasons for not posting to old threads. It's best to start your own thread.

Dallenx

Seaman Apprentice

They said:
"I adjusted the idle screws to 1-1/2 and then started with the cal. screws. I kept adjusting them both until it seems ok (with the muffs)."

You are correct that we don't know what worked for him. We do know that an adjustment of 1 1/2 is far off from a 1/4 adjustment.

Starting a new thread does nothing but use up server space.
Posting repeat topics / subjects, driving up your posting count and filling up the forum with bubblegum is not the way to go.

What if someone else is recently working on a WME carb? It's good to see all the info that you can find.
Using the search function and finding this old thread is the way we're supposed to use the forum.

Commenting on the same subject that someone has already posted, even if it its an old thread (that's why it's called a thread) does nothing but help those who subscribe and those who troll for information.
If it's not archived then it's an active thread.