Wiring yamaha analog tach to 2010 115 4 stroke

Clampman

Recruit
Hi,

I am putting my boat back together with New Pro Series 11 analog gauges on a 2010 115 4 stroke, and have some problems. I can't find wiring schematics anywhere.

I think the water pressure sending unit is in the right place. There was a plug there with a plastic washer which I removed and the sending unit threads right in. The pic below shows it on the starboard side of the engine.

water_pressure.jpg

The other gauge I am confused about is the tach with oil and temp warnings. I have the correct harness for the tach which goes from the engine to the tach. It has a female plug end which goes to the male on the tach.

harness.jpg

However, there are two other wires which I don't know about and there is no plug end in the accessories harness, or key switch harness for them.

tach.jpg

They are the yellow with red stripes and the pink with red stripes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring yamaha analog tach to 2010 115 4 stroke

wrong harness, the blue end was for the engine to remote oil tank on a two stroke.
post all the harness part numbers you bought.
yes it will plug in,no without swapping things about in the connector it wont work.
another reason Yamaha should not allow motor sales out of the box.

Clampman

Recruit

Rodbolt,

Thanks. I didn't think it was right. The dealer had the harness for the tach in stock and didn't have to order one. But he did order the tach, so I figured he would know what harness it took. Now I am wondering if the gauge harnesses are correct since they start out with a 6Y5 instead of a 6Y7 like all the gauges.

Instrument 2 Fuse 6Y5-83553-N0-00 2 ea

All Gauges Pro Series 11 Analog Gauges, White Faces

Tach w/ Oil Indicator 6Y7-83540-90-00 1 ea

Fuel Gauge 6Y7-85750-30-00 1 ea

Voltmeter 6Y7-83503-10-00 1 ea

Water Pressure Gauge 6Y7-83660-30-00 1 ea

Water Pressure Sending Unit 688-83667-00-00 1 ea

That tach will work for a 4 stroke won't it? In the accessories book, I just noticed that they show that there are two different ones in the Pro Series - one for two stokes and a different one for 4 strokes. In the Pro Series 11 which I got, they list only one tach. They do not list the wiring harness for either one in that book.

I did get the water pressure plug in the right hole didn't I?

Thank you for the help. I will go back to the dealer parts guy tomorrow, and see about getting the right one.

Cheers,
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno
I am home now with no rigging guide.
.but methinks your parts supplier is an idiot,
if I am not worn out again tomorrow evening ill try to cross reference your numbers.
but out of memory your screwed.

Clampman

Recruit

Rodbolt,

I talked with the dealer parts guy, and he insists that the harness I got is the only one there is, and that the harness will work. That I just need to connect the other wires to the ignition - but the color coding may not be correct.

Since the yellow w red wires from both oil and temp warning lights merge into one at the short harness on the gauge itself, I am going to consider that they are the power supply to both the warning lights, and will hook them to the yellow or the red plug in on the ignition key harness - which I think is live only when the key is in the "on" position. Having tested them with a continuity tester, they seem to be identical. Both pass current to the brown wire when the switch it turned to the start position, and I assume operate the starter relay.

Since the unknown wires only operate light bulbs, (brown with black stripes and red with black stripes in the harness from the engine) I will plug them into the wiring harness I have and see what happens. The worst I expect will be a blown warning light light-bulb. The brown w black hooks to a solid brown in the harness, and the red w black hooks to a solid blue in the harness.

What I am calling "stripes" are really circles going around the wires, by the way.

Yamaha's website showing wiring harnesses is totally useless for this problem. It does not even show the 4 pin wiring harness the dealer sold me. Of course there are no pinouts, wiring diagrams or anything, basically, of value on it.

Though I have totally re-wired and trouble shot shop machines with wires numbering in the hundreds, it was a piece of cake compared to this, which should be a very, very simple job, simply because they had electrical schematics. Granted, the schematics often consisted of ten or more blueprints, and several pages of components with voltages and currents at specified RPMS - but it was all there. Along with a brief description of how the cicuitry worked.

For a company that makes good physical products - they sure guard their circuitry like it was top secret information.

I feel bad for the guys who have to work on this stuff, and order the right parts. Thanks for your help, Rodbolt.

Cheers,
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you should have purchased the two gauge square command link. it will give you way more info than what ya got for about the same coins. plus it tells you current fuel consumption and total burned this trip.
tach analog,6y7-83540-90-00
harness engine to tach,6y5-83653-xx.

what are the 4 wire colors on that blue connector?

Clampman

Recruit

Rodbolt,

Below you will find a sketch of the female blue connector at the tach end of the harness coming from the engine. The view is looking directly at it from the end.

The only wires coming out of the oil and temp warning lights that enter the connector are the red w black rings and the brown w black rings (also has a thin black stripe I now see).

As you can see from below, only the brown and blue wires from the engine harness actually make it into the oil and temp warning lights.

tach_harness.gif

As noted in a previous post, both the oil warning light and the temp warning light sockets have yellow w red ring wires coming from them which are spliced together and end in a loose bullet connector (shown in my hand in the first picture above the sketch).

I am thinking that this is the 12v feed going into both lights and should come from the ignition key switch.

Thanks for your time and help, Rodbolt.

Cheers,
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

GO GET THE CORRECT HARNESS.
you have the OIL tank to engine two stroke harness not engine to tach 4 stroke harness.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the XX is a length, not knowing what yours is thats why I placed the XX.
its in your dealers rigging guide.
dunno if iboats sells it or not.
never looked.