wiring slave solenoid

ok got all my wiring redone except the black wire from the diagram i have i can't tell some insight from someone who know more about wiring would be great i think it grounds between the mounting bracket and the slave solenoid but not sure. also is it possible that if the black ground isn't mounted there that it can cause my slave solenoid to just click and not turn over the engine?

Attachments

• 2011-07-01_002236_scan0001.jpg
    2011-07-01_002236_scan0001.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 20

alldodge

Staff member
The ground wire may not be there and its ok, because the engine block is also ground

Your saying, the solenoid clicks when the key is turned to start, but the starter does not energize?

If so the starter may be the issue. Use something and jump from the main starter post to the small terminal where the Yellow/Red wire is connected. If it starts then starter is good

ok its raining tomorrow i will it when theres no rain i got the boat from my friend he explained that he had to jump the starter like your saying before he gave me the boat and he said it fired right up last year before he winterized it so if it does start mind you i don't know much about boats what should i be looking at next?

also its the slave solenoid clicking not he solenoid looking thing thats part of the starter

ok its raining tomorrow i will it when theres no rain i got the boat from my friend he explained that he had to jump the starter like your saying before he gave me the boat and he said it fired right up last year before he winterized it so if it does start mind you i don't know much about boats what should i be looking at next?

also its the slave solenoid clicking not he solenoid looking thing thats part of the starter
update: i am now confused i'm been reading up and people on forums have said if the solenoid clicks its working not i came across a forum post and this guy says a single click means its bad while multiple clicks means its good how true is this really?

alldodge

Staff member
Your drawing shows a slave relay and the starter solenoid. The slave is also being caused a solenoid which is ok

So far as a click, multiple clicks or no click means different things, and this all depends on what testing tells us

A solenoid is a electric switch. When it clicks it closes the internal contacts. If the contacts are in good shape then it works. If the internal contacts are bad then its bad. Only way to know if its good or bad is to test. This is way I asked you to jump the starter.

alldodge

Staff member
Jump at the starter and get one click, this shows its either the starter, weak battery or bad connections with the battery cables

A fully charged battery is 12.7V
Reading 12.43 means its still good

If cables are clean and tight then you need a starter, or need it rebuilt

what about the ground to engine it seems loose but i have contact to block and the buton it looks like its too long could that pose a problem for it clicking?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before jumping to any conclusions, why not remove all the terminals one at a time and thoroughly clean them to bright shiny metal. Then reinstall the connection and move to the next until you have every terminal concerning the starting circuit cleaned. Then if you experience any clicks but no start you know it isn't the wires. Start at the battery and clean them first INCLUDING the ground wire.

The starter solenoid is merely a big relay. The small wires going to it are the control voltages. When you turn the key, you apply 12 volts to those wires and that creates a magnetic field that pulls in the heavy contacts allowing huge currents from the battery to be applied to the starter. So it allows small wires to control that huge relay type solenoid. Same setup most every vehicle uses as well. It is called a starter solenoid, but in reality, it is merely a huge current relay. If it weren't for that solenoid, you would have to have a key switch that could carry all the amps the starter needs to start the engine. That would be a monstrous key switch for sure... JMHO

btw all wires and contacts are shiny cleaned i cleaned them myself the battery is brand new but 75% charge from what google says about the voltage ill go try to find a small bolt to better mount that ground wire to the engine block

sorry for late response but i check everything had a local mechanic check the starter he said it was fine idk how true that is since i have never had to use him before so i went back to the basics i started to pull plugs the first plug i pulled alot of water came spilling out of the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
With water in the cylinder that would be the reason to only get a clic because it was hydro-locked

Note which ones have water coming out.

Squirt some oil in cylinders and crank over some more. Might need to use a bit more oil if any more water shows up.

Do a compression test and see what the numbers are

ok it bee a few days before i get a compression testers the 4 back cylinders was dry and the 4 front ones was wet i don't know if i have oil but i have wd40 would that work? also forgot to ask when i put oil down in cylinders do i leave the plug out when cranking?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
wd40 will work, regular oil is better but need anything to try and lube the cylinders

ok was looking online on how to do it i noticed that pulled all plugs should i pull all my plugs even the dry ones just to be extra safe when i go to crank it over?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes I would pull all plugs to ensure there is no water in them. Disconnect the coil wire from the coil

alldodge

Staff member
Diesel will work, but keep in mind you don't want a lot. Just trying to get something in there to displace the water and lube the cylinder walls. The longer the water is in the cylinder the more damage it can do. As before, wd40 will work, get something in it now

ok tryed it motor didnt turn over still clicking so i figured id let oil set a few days and try again would that maybe work or is that a bad idea?