Wiring Plug & Receptacle

phuffman

Recruit
I just purchased a new boat that has a bowmount Minn Kota motor. I'm putting in a new Plug & Receptacle (Push & Twist) to replace the 4-prong the motor currently has. Problem: old receptacle has 4 wires, but the new one has only 2-3. How should I wire this? There are 2+ and 2- wires attached to the dedicated trolling motor battery.

Thanks!
- Paul

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring Plug & Receptacle

The real question here is do you have a 12 volt or 24 volt motor. You said it has 2-3 wires. Which is it? If it has three it is probably a 12 OR 24 volt motor. If it has 2 it is either a 12 volt or 24 volt but it can't be both.

phuffman

Recruit

It's a 40PD Minn Kota. There are 2 wires that come out of the powerbase unit. So I assume its a 12 volt motor. But how do I tell?

The old 4 peg plug (that didn't work) had 4 wires going into it (I assume 2 positive and 2 negative). These wires lead through the boat (haven't followed them through the sideboards, though) back to the transom where they end at the battery w/ all 4 wires.

If it's a 12 volt model, which wires do I use?

If it's a 24 volt model, how do I use the push & twist plug receptacle? Would I have to attach both positives to a pigtail?

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The 40 PD is a 12 volt motor and your boat is set up for either 12 or 24. You only need one pair of wires of the four total. Pick one pair (red and black) and leave the other two unused. Connect one pair to two of the terminals on the receptacle on the boat. It doesn't matter which two you use. Connect the two motor wires to the two pins on the plug that match the two in the receptacle and go fishing. Simple huh? By the way, for 24 volt operation you would need two 12 volt batteries which is why you see two sets of wires.