wiring on my 5.0 aq225d.

michaelkeb

Cadet
Hi,

Im new here but have seen so many questions answered that i thought you all might be able to help. I removed my aq225d volvo penta motor from my 24' bayliner to change the bell housing and unhooked the wiring harness from the motor for some reason..... Once i had the motor out I relized i didnt need to do that. Now that I am ready to reinstall the motor I cant remember where all the wires went on the top of the motor like distributer to coil and everything else. Is there a color picture of how the wiring goes for dummies? Thanks in advance.

Mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No books for dummies on re-hooking up the wiring.
Get a factory manual and find the wiring diagrams.
Google AQ225 wiring diagrams

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Just drapin' the harness over/ around the motor will point out many of the connections,.....

The right manual will point out the rest,....

michaelkeb

Cadet
I'm still having trouble getting this hooked up right. Maybe somebody out there has a picture of their motor and where all the wires are hooked up? That would be super helpful

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not really difficult

look up the manual with the link that Maclin provided.

if you are too lazy to do that

harness main trapezoidal plug sits behind the rh valve cover. from there, a leg crosses the motor to the lh side (contains the big circuit breaker and the starter pilot relay), down under the exhaust and up to the alternator, one leg of the harness goes to the front of the motor on top of the intake with a branch off to the distributor. a leg goes down to the starter

starting at the front of the motor on top
tan is temperature sender at front of intake manifold
two wires at the choke, one purple, one black
at the coil, purple wires (should be 3 if you have a rev limiter) to the + side of the coil, grey wires to the negative side.
just to the left of the distributor is the light blue wire for the oil pressure switch.

low on the RH side
on the starter, you will connect the one large red connector to the large terminal along with the battery connection
on the same lug is the circuit breaker for your trim
the small yellow wire with a stripe goes to the S-terminal

Low on the LH side
the alterator (lower left side of motor) should have 3 wires and a ground to the block. one large red wire, one black wire (ground) and one field excitation wire. this wire harness was originally run under the engine mount.

all engine wiring is standardized based on color.