Wiring issues

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone else had issues with the wiring to the console in their Key West? I got a pdf from the manufacturer to double check everything, but apparently more than one of my switches is also bad. I wonder if its just me or if they have a tendency towards this sort of problem? I already took the switch panel off once to try and fix my navigation lights but couldn't quite get it (thats when I found out from a dealer that the switch itself was bad). After they fixed the navigation lights enough so that they work (but still using the half broken switch), my console lights and aerator no longer work.

Maybe they disconnected something while messing with the nav lights wiring, or maybe the wiring/switches itself(themselves) sucks?

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wiring issues

The switches on my old 1900DC are a standard brand (Perko or something like that) used on a lot of boats. My harness is starting to become a problem but that's because of 15 years of use and corrosion is creeping up from the back and ruining the conductors one by one.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wiring issues

Issues continue. Saturday night was the first 'night' out on the boat. Turns out the navigation lights weren't exactly fixed as I had assumed. I get either the front nav lights OR the transom light, but not both at the same time. I had to take a signal light I had in the console (luckily) and zip tie it to the transom light while running the front nav lights.

To top it off, the console lights came on. I have no idea why. Apparently the switch was on and halfway back to the marina they just decided to work. Last night they did not. I was also having shorts that were messing with the VHF and fish finder where only one could be on at a time. After playing with the wiring again, everything was working (well except the lights) more or less as it had been.

After my month at the marina is up I'm taking it out of the water up to my friend's place and we're going to re-wire the whole damn thing with new switches, breakers, etc...