Wiring Gauges for 99 Evinrude e-tec

Gregor_Mic

Cadet
Hello!
I recently re-powered my Tacker from a 1989 Mercury 90hp 2 stroke to a 1999 70hp Evinrude 4 stroke. Everything swapped over fine and I'm really happy with the performance but noticed the wire harness colors are different from Mercury to Evinrude for the gauges.

1. Is it even possible to use the existing gauges for the new motor or will they need to be swapped?
2. If I can use the gauges, do you have any direction on how to wire it to the new motor's harness?

I'd like to avoid taking it to the boat shop for this so if it is possible to re-wire, do you have a diagram that will lay out what color goes to what color Merc to Evinrude? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!

Best regards,
Gregor_Mic

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What specific gauges are you installing? Voltmeter and gas gauge will swap. The tachometer (if relatively new) should swap, with a setting change on the gauge.

If you want to use the "System Check" feature of the e-TEC, you will need a new tachometer, with that feature. The horn version of the system check should come with your motor. Those are the tan, tan/orange, tan/black wires, from the motor, and the horn/logic module.

Not sure about Trim gauge, since Merc may have a different ohm range than the e-TEC, however, that should be replaced by a water pressure gauge anyway, IMO.

The wire for gauge power for both motors (purple) should be the same. Night lights for the gauges are either the same purple wire, or could be wired to the boats navigation lights, as desired. I like the former

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
What motor do you have?
There was no E-tec in 1999.
There was the Ficht, predecessor to the e-tec.
The Ficht and the e-tec are 2 cycles.

Gregor_Mic

Cadet
Thank you both for the replies and apologies for my confusion. The motor is 99' Evinrude 4-stroke (E70PL4EEC).