Wiring for keyswitch on 1978 55HP Johnson

vaughneric2000

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
28
The control box on my 1978 55HP Johnson outboard was submerged in satwater during a hurricane last year. The motor survived, but the keyswitch in the remote control box was ruined by the saltwater. So, I bought an exact OEM keyswitch replacement. The old switch connections were corroded and eaten away to the point where I couldn't tell where any of the connections had to go on the new keyswitch.<br /><br />The new keyswitch connections has the following letters:<br /><br /><br />S<br />I<br />B<br />M<br />M (a different M than the one above)<br />C<br /><br /><br />Could someone tell me which wire goes where on the keyswitch?<br /><br />Thanks a million,<br />Vaughneric2000
 

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
10,161
Re: Wiring for keyswitch on 1978 55HP Johnson

Hey Vaughn...welcome to iboats. Let's see if we can help.<br /><br />S - Start - will either be the white or yellow wire which ever you have.<br /><br />I - Ignition - Will be purple.<br /><br />B - Battery - Should be the red wire.<br /><br />M - Magneto in the old days but now ground - Will be the black/white stripe wire (I'm going from memory here) <br /><br />M - Same as above - Plain black wires.<br /><br />C - Choke - purple/white stripe.<br /><br />If you have any thing different, hollar.
 
Top