Winterrizing - for how long ??

G DANE

Commander
Almost 13 years ago I bought a 1991 115 HP Evinrude for my project boat. Seller gave me 3 months warranty, and the motor was delivered winterrized, at least so he said, and there was oil visible in the carbs. Motor had at that time been sitting 3 years, due to his health. My life changed, its been moved twice, and I have been rebuilding our home - etc etc. The last 5 years its been sitting outside, but under roof. I turn it by the flywheel a couple of times a year, and I have added thin oil to the bores thru sparkplug holes, a couple of times. It turns freely and smooth, with lots of compression, and gears are shiftable by fingers. Do you think its still ok, or should I find another motor, now that retirement is around the corner, and I am ready to take the procejt back on ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
If it is as you described, no need for a different motor, but check the fuel hoses and wiring, its been awhile.

Edit: and as pointed out below, replace the impeller. Thanks Racerone

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to worry.--Start the thing up.----If it runs well then change the pump impeller.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If the block has good compression on all 4 holes, it's worth putting time and effort into it. Probably in the 95+ range.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I guess the 3 mo. warranty is up. :smile:

What the guys said and one or two more things. Before trying to start her up, check the carbs for mouse houses. They like to make themselves at home in small places. And run some heavy weed whacker line up the tell-tell (pee) hole in case some bugs packed it with mud.

On top of this forum is a Top Secret File and one of the files is Awakening A Sleeping Outboard. Take a look at those when you get a chance. If she was properly winterized and with the step you've taken, I think you will be OK with some normal maintenance.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
almost like a new-old-stock motor. Can't add to the above, except to wish a happy retirement!