Winterizing

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,
This will be my first time winterizing my boat since I got her put back together after rebuilding and wanted to ask if there are good, better, best kits I should look for.
Thanks,
Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Drain All the water out of it, 'n you don't need any kinda Kit,....

What motor, 'n drive,..??

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
This will be my first time winterizing my boat since I got her put back together after rebuilding and wanted to ask if there are good, better, best kits I should look for.
Thanks,
Jim
Boat boneyards are full of cracked blocks from guys who tried to take the easy way out using those winterizing kits. I did mine the hard way, which is the right way & never had a problem in over 20 years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
by kit, do you mean some sort of block-buster 2000, or scam-u instant winterizing kit?

the best kit you can do with a fresh motor (brand new or newly rebuilt) is install a heat exchanger. (you can not install a heat exchanger on a used motor)

if you do not want to go with fresh water cooling, make sure your drain plugs are accessible,

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
a scewdriver for hose clamps
a small adjustable for drain plugs
a pick to rod out drain holes

that's your kit!

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
And there you have it... (what those guys said).

From the 4.3 w/power steering perspective, there's:
1 drain in each head
1 drain in each exhaust manifold
1 drain in the PS dillywhopper behind the RH head
and like, 3 in the drive.

Get 'em all, plus disconnect the raw water hose and the water pump hose from the T-stat connection thingy on the intake, and you're golden.

Now, on a 2.3L, I'm not sure what there is, but I'm thinking it's less than that...

Caveat: Some who know recommend backflushing the system w/marine antifreeze. I've never gotten into that, because my boat's like, 15years beyond it's shelf life - also according to those who know.

Best wishes...

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Wow I didn't realize there were so many different opinions on this.
I only said kit because I had seen a friend using something like a "kit" to winterize a boat but wanted to ask the experts 😊.
When I had pulled the motor tearing the boat down I drained the water from the block and manifold via the petcocks then removed the upper hose on the thermostat housing and poured antifreeze into these areas. I assume from what I have read that should work as well as doing the same thing for the drive unit.
After all the work I have done I am not about to cut corners now!
I'm sorry it's a 2.3.

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
I filled my block & manifold with 50/50 antifreeze mix as cheap insurance.

Come spring when I started the boat off muffs the antifreeze as a bonus would help to cut down on the local nuisance gray squirrel population.

Just kidding.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

I filled my block & manifold with 50/50 antifreeze mix as cheap insurance.

Come spring when I started the boat off muffs the antifreeze as a bonus would help to cut down on the local nuisance gray squirrel population.

Just kidding.
I'm just a bit overrun myself since my neighbor feeds them all year so I'd be killing two birds with one stone so to speak , I like your "just kidding " ideas lol.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

In regards to the fuel system is it better to run the carburetor dry or leave fuel in it with stabilizer since it sits longer here in the north between seasons.
Thanks 😊

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Stabil is fine..it will keep fresh e10 gas good for at least a year

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

I've been running non-ethonal will that still be ok? I am going to assume non-ethonal is better regardless because most "including me" run it in all our small engines

Last edited: