Winterizing

rpg

Cadet
Hello there, I am helping a neighbor winterize her boat this year. It's a 90hp Johnson (Salt Water Edition) on her pontoon boat. I haven't winterized a two stroke in a few years as I primarily work on Tournament Ski boats (Inboards).

I'm thinking I need to drain and fill the lower unit but what else is there?

Remove the plugs and spray fogging oil?
Any other areas where water needs to be drained?
What's the approximate capacity of the lower unit and what type of oil?

thanks so much, she's had a death in the family and I'm trying to just give her one less thing to worry about.

RPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing

Really there's nothing that you absolutely HAVE to do on an outboard to winterize it other than make sure it's stored in the down position so the water drains. Changing the lower unit oil, as you mentioned, is a good idea in case any water got in it during the season. Wal-Mart sells lower unit gear lube. Running some Stabil through the last tank of gas is also a good idea. Fogging also optional. I've never done it but I may this year.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's good practice to fog the engine to protect the moving parts. Aerosol fogging oil is available at most auto parts stores and marine outlets. The motors have a fitting on the primer solenoid, called a schrader valve, which allows for the direct injection of the oil while the engine is running. You will need the $2.00 injector hose, part #0763644.

All of the grease fittings should be used to apply waterproof grease and the steering arm and trim rams should be greased and fully withdrawn during storage.

The BRP/Evinrude maintenance chart gives a list of items that should be checked: http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/PressRelease/maintenance_schedule.pdf

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It may also not hurt to take the prop off and grease the splines. Also make sure you store it in the down position so all can drain properly.