Winterizing?

Okay guys....being a new boat owner I have no idea if I should winterize my boat and what all this entails. My boat sits outside covered but I do plan on using it this winter to do some fishing. I live in Indiana so it does get cold. Thanks In Advance.

Sister:D

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing?

Sis,
If you go to the main iBoats boating forum page, and do a search for "winterizing". You'll find lots of good info there. :)

a70eliminator

Captain

Okay guys....being a new boat owner I have no idea if I should winterize my boat and what all this entails. My boat sits outside covered but I do plan on using it this winter to do some fishing. I live in Indiana so it does get cold. Thanks In Advance.

Sister:D

I live in Ohio where the winters are about the same, I have done nothing special to my outboard and haven't had a problem in the 25yrs I've owned it. I use the boat right up till the lake freezes, I have a pretty nice cover with pole supports and seperate cover for the outboard, the batteries come in. Last year due to some other priorities both the fuel and battery were left in the boat yet it started right up in the spring just as if the engine was running yesterday. By all means follow the winterization instructions be safe.

pduquette

Ensign

If you plan to use it on good days in the winter , I'd recomend a fresh change of the Lower unit . I do mine 2x , before the freeze and again in spring . Even if the use is light , I feel it is better to be sure there is no water in the oil than have something crack .peter