Winterizing Yamaha 4 stroke vx cruiser

swampy2646

Seaman
Does anybody make a "winter Mix" using about 1 qt. of two cycle oil in about 2 gallons of gas, adding stabilizer and startron, draining the tank and running the mix through while flushing? i also remove spark plugs and squirt fogging oil in each cylinder and crank engine to lube. also what about tank full or empty?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterizing Yamaha 4 stroke vx cruiser

I run the following mix through my Yamaha 150 outboard: Gas + 2 stroke TC-W3 oil + Stabil Marine + Yamaha Ring Free Plus. The outboard has no easy way to put fogging oil into the intake system, so I hook up a small portable fuel tank and run the mix through it to do the winterization. I pour the left over into the fuel tank.

My Yamaha FX HO Waverunner is easily fogged through the intake ribbon, so no need for the mix there. Although I do put Stabil Marine and Yamaha Ring Free Plus in my fuel tank and run that through the engine before I fog.

Fuel tank full or empty is a big debate. I don't think it really matters. I fill the tank and put Stabil Marine in for storage. My reasoning is that in the spring, I have a full tank of gas and the ski is ready to go. Plus it is pretty rare for fuel prices to drop, so you will probably save a few $$ by buying a full tank of fuel in the fall. I do the same on my boat.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I run the following mix through my Yamaha 150 outboard: Gas + 2 stroke TC-W3 oil + Stabil Marine + Yamaha Ring Free Plus.

If that is fuel injected, that practice is highly not recommended and will void your warranty also. In general, you NEVER want to run oil through a fuel injected engine, at least not if you value your injectors.

swampy2646

Seaman

If that is fuel injected, that practice is highly not recommended and will void your warranty also. In general, you NEVER want to run oil through a fuel injected engine, at least not if you value your injectors.

why is that? my mercruiser manual directs you to make that exact mix for my 350 mag. MPI. I figured it would work fine with the Yamaha.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

All I do to my 4 stroke VX is to raise the nose of the trailer very high, and rev up the engine for a few seconds. Wait 30 seconds and rev it up again for a few seconds. Then do it a third time. What you're trying to do is blow out any water from the mufflers and the engine.

You can fog the engine, but I choose not to. I remove the battery and put it on a Battery Tender for the winter. My ski is kept out of the weather in a boathouse.

It's also best if you did your yearly maintenance as provided in the owners' manual in the Fall. The 4 stroke PWC's often require service every 100 hours, and that would just warrant an oil change and filter. If you have no experience in winterizing, you should learn as cycle dealerships will rip your head off for $300. All an oil change takes is a $10 oil pump available at WalMart or any auto parts store. Many people will put a fuel stabilizer into the tank.

In the Spring, drop the charged battery back in, and you're ready to go.

swampy2646

Seaman

Thanks guys, Hey Bamaman do you have ethenol in the gas down there? if so do y ou fill or empty your tank?