Winterizing - to empty carbs or not...and is it hard on your fuel pump?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Got a 2004 90 4 stroke. It's that sad time of year in the soon-to-be-frigid north...winterizing time. When I was buying my supplies from my local Yammy dealer, I got into a discussion about ethanol with the mechanic on duty. He recommended that, while stabilizer in the tank is always a good thing, I should drain the carbs.

The method he recommended was to pinch off my fuel line and let her starve. He noted that the fuel pump would put out quite a racket as it ran dry, but this was normal and no cause for worry.

I did exactly this, then for good measure emptied the little reservoir with the red water float in it. Sure enough the fuel pump was clicking and tapping pretty good near the end.

I'm just wondering if other folks out there are also running their motors dry and if this is kind of hard on the pump. I'm thinking that water pump impellers sure don't like to run dry, could the same be true for fuel pumps?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing - to empty carbs or not...and is it hard on your fuel pump?

why bother?
you still left gasoline in the bowl as it simply CANNOT be run dry.
find another tech please
if you look on the fuel bowls there is a carb drain screw.
simply loosen them and the fuel bowl drains.
no need to run it.
with todays fuel in this area and you let it sit any length of time,even with stabilizer,expect a decent repair bill when the carbs get cleaned next spring.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the reply rodbolt. Dammit, I specifically asked if running it dry would drain the carbs all the way and he said it would. :rolleyes:

Well, I got one more chance before it goes into storage. I'll run back up to the boat and drain it properly.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the idle fuel jet is located about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the bowl,so it cannot empty the fuel bowl.
thats what the fuel bowl drain plugs do :)
my theory is if its not in the bowl it cannot cause gummy varnish