Winterizing Question ? Need Help

68rs327

Cadet
I just bought a boat from a friend of mine and am new to the whole boating thing.
My friend has owned the boat for years, it's a 94' Monark with a 75 HP Mariner Outboard.
He fished with the boat year round in Kentucky in temperatures as low as the teens and single digits.
He told me he Never winterized the boat. He said when leaving the lake in cold weather he would tilt the motor down to drain the water and bumped the motor over a few times. He said when got home with the boat he would again tilt the motor down, bump the motor over and take a air gun and blow air through the Pee Hole to force any trapped water out of the lower unit? Also, his garage is Not heated and this is the extend of his winterizing? He said he has done this since the boat was new and never had a problem? ...... I bought anti freeze and fogger for the cylinders and Staybil for the gas. But I was wanting to do some crappie fishing while off for Christmas. What do guys do that fish year around?
Will winterizing the boat like my friend has done this boat work???
The only thing I am really worried about is water freezing in the lower unit and busting something. I lowered the motor to drain the water and blew air through the pee hole. It's suppose to get in the mid 20's this week at night and my garage is also not heated. My friend has gotten away with doing this for years with the boat with no problems am I just worrying to much.? Guys that fish year around, what do they do??
Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Winterizing Question ? Need Help

If you're gonna be using the motor over the winter on any kind of regular basis then don't worry about it....outboard motors drain water out quite well, just tilt up and down a few times....add some stabilizer like Sta-bil or Seafoam to your fuel tank to help keep your fuel fresh...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

outboards don't need winterizing (except draining naturally). But look around the boat for any trapped water: bilge, live wells, etc. and dry it out.

When it gets super cold your gas line can freeze so you might take it in the house, and be mindful if you are out when its 15* or colder.

68rs327

Cadet

outboards don't need winterizing (except draining naturally). But look around the boat for any trapped water: bilge, live wells, etc. and dry it out.

When it gets super cold your gas line can freeze so you might take it in the house, and be mindful if you are out when its 15* or colder.
Your reply makes me feel a lot better. I have been googling how to winterize a boat and on YouTube watching videos. I saw a lot of videos of people winterizing outboard motors? I tilted the motor up and down and even left it down for a day, then blew air in the pee hole hoping to push any water out of the water pump. I bumped the motor over a few times and tilted the motor back up and supported it. I have a big quilt wrapped around the motor and lower unit now. I am probably just worrying for nothing. I didn't know Outboards don't need to be winterized except for draining naturally.
Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

What? Your gas line could freeze? Gee,my gas lines in my vehicles never freeze! It's -13 right now. Should I bring the gas lines in off the vehicle? If theres no water in the fuel it can't freeze. If there is water in the fuel,the thing wouldn't run,or run poorly.
Never store fuel in the house.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think MAYBE he meant the hose could get brittle and be easily broken... as long as you don't try to bend it when it's really cold you'll be fine

O/P your friend/seller has it right.... bring your blanket in and use it to keep your feet warm when you come back inside from making motor noises in the boat....

if you plan to store it for many months without use then you might go ahead and fog it but personally I don't bother... take the antifreeze back to the store or find another use for it... absolutely not needed for an outboard.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know Outboards don't need to be winterized except for draining naturally.
Thanks

Actually, just so you're 100% clear, outboards do need to be winterized just not the same way as I/O's. While it's true that you don't need to run antifreeze through them if you raise and lower the engine a few times if you are going to leave it for more than a month or two you should fog it. This helps keep the cylinder walls and other internal parts lubricated. You also need some type of gas stabilizer in the tank and it should be run through the motor before fogging. All that being said, as posted above if you are going to use the boat year round and it is not going to sit for more than a month or so you don't need to do anything but keep some type of stabilizer in your tank year round and make sure the water drains fully from the motor by doing what your friend did.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

When leaving the ramp in freezing weather, I sit at the launch with the motor tilted all the way down until it stops draining before I raise it up and put the motor toter under it. When I get home just in case it rains or snows, I tilt the motor back down and store it like that. Just don't want water to collect from the elements and freeze inside up against the lower gear case housing and propshaft seal.

My opinion you can stop the blowing and bumping, it's not going to do anything helpful as far as draining water goes. Gravity will take care of the water draining and if there is a bit of water left inside by some odd chance it won't be enough to crack anything.

68rs327

Cadet

Actually, just so you're 100% clear, outboards do need to be winterized just not the same way as I/O's. While it's true that you don't need to run antifreeze through them if you raise and lower the engine a few times if you are going to leave it for more than a month or two you should fog it. This helps keep the cylinder walls and other internal parts lubricated. You also need some type of gas stabilizer in the tank and it should be run through the motor before fogging. All that being said, as posted above if you are going to use the boat year round and it is not going to sit for more than a month or so you don't need to do anything but keep some type of stabilizer in your tank year round and make sure the water drains fully from the motor by doing what your friend did.

Videos like this is what confused me on Winterizing my Outboard motor.

How to winterize your boat - Cheap and Easy with Bucket Ape - YouTube

The Video Shows this guy running Anti-Freeze through the motor. There are lots of videos on YouTube that show people doing this is what's so confusing. I raised and lowered my motor several times and even blew air in the Pee Hole to be on the safe side. I am going to at Sta-Bil to the gas tank tomorrow and Fog the Cylinders in case I don't get her out anymore this year. I was worried about the proper winterizing procedure. I figured with my luck, some water would be in the lower unit and bust it this winter.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

The only practical benefit to running antifreeze through an outboard is to protect against rust. I've seen many yards use antifreeze on some of the newer massive 4 stroke outboards just as an added precaution but there you are talking about close to $25K per engine.

Fun Times

Staff member

Maybe the phrase remove the fuel line from the outside elements would be a little bit better suited here.:)

I think maybe he meant the hose could get brittle and be easily broken... as long as you don't try to bend it when it's really cold you'll be fine.
Thanks Smoke, I'm sure that's more along the lines of what Home Cookin was trying to say.:thumb:

75 HP Mariner Outboard.
He said when got home with the boat he would again tilt the motor down.
If you're in the position of needing to leave the boat stored outside for the winter, be sure to leave the engine stored in the upright (vertical) position so the water will be able to drain out. Also with the outboard tilted down, that should help prevent most rain water from accumulating in the propeller exhaust outlet area of the lower unit gear housing in turn avoiding freeze damage.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Holy Overkill, Batman.

Yes OP as you said you are worrying for nothing. Take the quilt off the motor before someone sees it.

And stop blowing in your p-hole, too. Or at least don't tell anyone (actually a "bubble" of water may remain in there and freeze, but the tell-tale is just an indicator and your motor works fine with it clogged).

And don't believe everything you see on the internet (except my posts of course). Although it wasn't on youtube, I heard about a guy around here who said he didn't flush his OB motor b/c the salt water kept it from freezing. That's so wrong on so many levels.

Bringing a gas line into the house is not "storing fuel in the house." Seriously. Your can of hairspray is more dangerous.

Fogging is not a function of winterizing but a function of storing. Good advice but has nothing to do with freezing temps, only non-use for 3 months or more.

No the gas lines in your car will be fine, obviously. but a plastic hose with a rubber/plastic ball and fittings can and will freeze up in the wrong conditions--exposed on the back of a motor in 15* weather 20 mph winds and snow (ie duck hunting weather). "too brittle to use." Not every one every time but just once of sitting with it stuffed up under your shirt to thaw, waiting in the growing darkness while you still have decoys to pick up, will cure you.

68rs327

Cadet

Holy Overkill, Batman.

Yes OP as you said you are worrying for nothing. Take the quilt off the motor before someone sees it.

And stop blowing in your p-hole, too. Or at least don't tell anyone (actually a "bubble" of water may remain in there and freeze, but the tell-tale is just an indicator and your motor works fine with it clogged).

And don't believe everything you see on the internet (except my posts of course). Although it wasn't on youtube, I heard about a guy around here who said he didn't flush his OB motor b/c the salt water kept it from freezing. That's so wrong on so many levels.

Bringing a gas line into the house is not "storing fuel in the house." Seriously. Your can of hairspray is more dangerous.

Fogging is not a function of winterizing but a function of storing. Good advice but has nothing to do with freezing temps, only non-use for 3 months or more.

No the gas lines in your car will be fine, obviously. but a plastic hose with a rubber/plastic ball and fittings can and will freeze up in the wrong conditions--exposed on the back of a motor in 15* weather 20 mph winds and snow (ie duck hunting weather). "too brittle to use." Not every one every time but just once of sitting with it stuffed up under your shirt to thaw, waiting in the growing darkness while you still have decoys to pick up, will cure you.

Thanks for all the help.
I feel a lot better about my boat and the cold weather coming.
My boat sits in my garage year round. It's not heated, but dry.
I have had so many people at work tell me that if I don't run antifreeze through the outboard, I am taking a chance on water being trapped in the lower unit and busting the lower unit in freezing weather.
I am going to tilt the motor into the vertical position for the winter, Add Sta-Bil to the gas tank and Fog the cylinder.
I was most worried about water freezing in the lower unit and causing damage, but I feel a lot better after reading your response to my question. I know I was going over board, but I am new to boating and was worried I wasn't doing something right. Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think the guys at work were pulling your leg. Tell them you treated your lower unit with relative bearing grease and that will shut them up.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Holy Overkill, Batman.

Easy home... Remember your blood pressure! :lol:

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I fish year round and have used the same tips from this forum in cold weather. trust me 95% these guys know what they are talking about and have saved me tons of $$$ by not going to the mechanic for every little thing. with that being said let the water drain from the lower unit, use some fuel stabilizer (ethenol treatment) good gass and good oil and you should be golden. If you plan on not using it for more then 6 weeks I would fog it. I just did that to my outboard and replaced the spark plugs in 10 min.. I cant belive I paid the mechanic $120 last year to do this for me. This time around it cost me less then $25.00

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I fish year round and have used the same tips from this forum in cold weather. trust me 95% these guys know what they are talking about and have saved me tons of $$$ by not going to the mechanic for every little thing. with that being said let the water drain from the lower unit, use some fuel stabilizer (ethenol treatment) good gass and good oil and you should be golden. If you plan on not using it for more then 6 weeks I would fog it. I just did that to my outboard and replaced the spark plugs in 10 min.. I cant belive I paid the mechanic $120 last year to do this for me. This time around it cost me less then $25.00

You are learning grasshopper. :D:thumb: