winterizing question for volvo 5.7 dp

ratbag

Cadet
I just winterized my boat this past weekend. I've done it before with no problem. I drained the two manifolds and the plug on the block. I opened the hose's at the thermostat and dumped two gallons of 100% antifreeze in the hoses. I started the engine and ran it for about 30 seconds while I was fogging the engine. I just realized that I didn't pull the plug on the other side of the block where the knock sensor is. The question is would most of the water in the block come out the plug I opened, and if each side is separate would the antifreeze a put in be enough. I'm several hours from the boat now so its not easy just to go back. thanks, bob

Maclin

Admiral
The 5.7 has two plugs on the block, one for each side.

Almost all of the water will exit the block when the 2 drain plugs are removed and a nail or something poked up into the block to loosen the scale and get a good flow.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Correct me if I'm wrong please but shouldn't you fog the motor first while connected to muffs then drain and backfill? I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy knowing I didn't fully drain the block and several hours away is cheaper than a new motor. Just my .02 :)