Winterizing Mercruiser 4.5L 200HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

edsblack81

Cadet
Hey All,

I got a new Sea Ray this summer with the 4.5L 200HP V6 with an Alpha One drive. Does anyone here have any experience winterizing these blocks? I have winterized the 3.0 and 4.3 with Alpha Ones, but I can't find any specific information on the new block.

I am specifically looking for how to fill the block with antifreeze. I would really rather not crack the block the first winter I own it. I have watched the single point drain video on Youtube but it specifically states that it is not meant for winterization which leads me to believe water is left in the block. I would like to know how to drain 100% of the water out and then to fill the block with antifreeze while it is not running (i.e. not filling it on muffs).

I talked to my local shop and they will do this part for me if I change the other fluids and add Stabil. I would like to do it all myself, but may pay the shop to make sure the block is properly protected against freezing this year.

Engine Specifics: 2017 Mercruiser 200HP 4.5L V6
Serial: 2a534012

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. Does this also drain the exhaust manifolds?
I don't think I would trust it in salt water due to the potential of rust clogging the drains. I wonder if they made the drains in the block larger than standard to allow for this.....

alldodge

Staff member
Interesting. Does this also drain the exhaust manifolds?
I don't think I would trust it in salt water due to the potential of rust clogging the drains. I wonder if they made the drains in the block larger than standard to allow for this.....

Personally I cannot say, this is just the vid from Merc so a new motor should be fine for the first few times, and should be until its out of warranty. That said, I don't trust single point drains but maybe Merc made this one better then the others :rolleyes: :pound: :sorry: I digress.

The other vids (not Merc) on line also have you fog the motor using a premix, then use 4 gallons of antifreeze during the fog cycle.

Bondo

Staff member
I don't trust single point drains but maybe Merc made this one better then the others :rolleyes: :pound: :sorry: I digress.

Ayuh,.... Ditto,.... Completely Agree,....

I ain't seen 1 of these motors close up, so can't say exactly where the real drain ports are,....

edsblack81

Cadet
I appreciate the responses. One of the first lines in that video is "this is for short term storage and not part of the winterization process." Looks like there aren't too many DYIers with this engine yet. So I will pay to make sure my block doesn't freeze this year instead of being a guinea pig.

alldodge

Staff member
They state that so they are not libel. If you look at the hoses and see how they flow, my guess is it does work, the issue will be as the motor ages, does this issue change?

Yours is probably the best method, but make sure folks doing the winterization will put in writing that they replace the motor if cracked.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
is it out of style to simply drain the water out anymore?

that said. i understand that warranty programs are riddled with "we do the maintenance or else". I purchased a new furnace that had a full warranty as long as I paid them $400 a year to clean it... i get it

Bondo

Staff member
is it out of style to simply drain the water out anymore?

that said. i understand that warranty programs are riddled with "we do the maintenance or else". I purchased a new furnace that had a full warranty as long as I paid them $400 a year to clean it... i get it

Ayuh,... Very much still in style,.... Air still doesn't freeze,....

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,... Very much still in style,.... Air still doesn't freeze,....

LOL. didnt think so.....:D i am looking forward to next season.......... selling my sterndrive.. in favor for a new party barge with 4S outboard.......... winterization= treat fuel, run some fresh lube thru drive, tilt down.. done... be nice not crawling around in the dog house anymore pulling plugs... :)

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being an owner of one of these 4.5's, I'm going through the same thing. The OP looks like he borrowed my words. I do not have a dealer near by. In fact most dealers don't even know what a 4.5 is.
I have watched that video, and it does mention that this drain process is not for winterization. Then it says the winterization includes adding the antifreeze. But of course there is no instruction on that part. The Merc manual follows this video to a T. It also reads that the drain system is not sufficient for winter storage, but I'm guessing it's because it's only the first step in the whole winterization process. Except it stops at the how to add the antifreeze. Everywhere you go, it says to follow the Merc manual, but in this case, it's impossible to follow to the end.
Very simple question I would like answered, "does this drain remove all the water?" I'm trying to verify that with the Merc tech line.

FWIW, the drains on this system are all large, at least 3/4" hoses. Not like the little 1/4" they had on the previous systems. Manifolds have large fittings on the bottom side. Looking at the layout of the hoses (there are several), they all drain to the bottom spigot.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Heres my post on other site..marine engine
/boat-forum/showthread.php?434848-Mercruiser-4-5-Winterzing&highlight=4.5+mercruiser

Level the motor,open drains,drain engine,close kettle bell drain, black funnel with long neck in blue petcock drain,add 3 gallons of -50 (engine compatible) pink antifreeze, reinstall petcock, good to go.If you above KY state line use -100 blue.

Last edited:

edsblack81

Cadet
Thanks Fazbullet. That is way easier than the old 4.3. I just ordered a service manual today for my engine to make sure I'm getting it all right. I hope to get this thing winterized soon. Of course it seems like I might not have to as warm as it has been so far this fall.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well one way to check, is to put in your garboard drain plug before you drain the engine. Then drain what came out into gallon containers. If the 4.5 is like the 4.3 then the engine should hold about 2 -3 gallons and each ex manifold about a gallon. So if you get 4-5 gallons out it should be ok.
BTW I wonder if they have more info in the actual shop manusl not just the Merc engine owners manual that comes with the boat. Id be lookin for one of those....

edsblack81

Cadet
Being an owner of one of these 4.5's, I'm going through the same thing. The OP looks like he borrowed my words. I do not have a dealer near by. In fact most dealers don't even know what a 4.5 is.
I have watched that video, and it does mention that this drain process is not for winterization. Then it says the winterization includes adding the antifreeze. But of course there is no instruction on that part. The Merc manual follows this video to a T. It also reads that the drain system is not sufficient for winter storage, but I'm guessing it's because it's only the first step in the whole winterization process. Except it stops at the how to add the antifreeze. Everywhere you go, it says to follow the Merc manual, but in this case, it's impossible to follow to the end.
Very simple question I would like answered, "does this drain remove all the water?" I'm trying to verify that with the Merc tech line.

FWIW, the drains on this system are all large, at least 3/4" hoses. Not like the little 1/4" they had on the previous systems. Manifolds have large fittings on the bottom side. Looking at the layout of the hoses (there are several), they all drain to the bottom spigot.

Hey Cortes,

Any luck getting a hold of Mercury to confirm the water is drained out. I opened both plugs and the drain knob for 10 minutes. Closed knob and put the bottom plug back in. Filled from the upper plug hole and it took about 2.5 gallons and then started draining from the drive. I think I got as much water replaced with antifreeze as possible.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did talk to the Merc tech support a couple times. The main question and they did confirm that this system does drain the block and manifolds. All raw water should be gone, well unless one of the hoses is blocked. Unlikely but is possible. I know some people here don't like these drain systems and I can see why. Even though the drain points are large, they all direct to a single spigot, so if one was blocked, it would be impossible to tell. The only way would be to collect the outgoing water which should be about 1.5 to 1.75 gallons.
On another note, the drain system on these is way different than the past years (3.0 + 4.3's). It's not just a simple pull a hose and install a plug. The hoses are all interconnected and would have to figure out what is needed for running or draining before removing the system.

Another question was, the manual and the video specify that this is not sufficient for winter storage. Merc says that because this is only step one of the whole process. Those steps include, oil change, antifreeze, run engine on home made cocktail fuel (2 stroke oil + stabil), drive lube, etc. The manual does cover most steps except details about adding antifreeze. The Merc tech person said the best way on these engines is to warm them up on muffs, drain water, and then run engine again introducing the antifreeze. Not sure why they do not list that in the manual. (cover their butt?).

FWIW, I did all the lube/ filter changes and run the engine on the special cocktail. Oh, don't make a 20L jug like the manual says. I made a 5L jug and running for 30 minutes used just over one litre. Then drained the raw water for several hours.. For trivia checked some hoses and all were dry. Did not have a proper way to add AF with muffs so poured in via blue vent plug on top left of engine. Left the main drain open until AF came out, close drain. Then keep filling until AF coming out the drive. I got about 1-3/4 gallons in, which goes with what the tech guy was saying. That blue vent plug is close to the top of the head. But also tried the big hoses on the back side of engine. Same result, just pours out the drive. That tells me the block and manifolds are full.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I think that engine and manifolds must hold more than 1.5 to 1.75 gallons. The engine alone, probably holds at least 2-3 gallons, I always used to buy about 5 gallons of AF to fill the engine and manifolds. I'll keep track of what I use when I winterize mine this time.

Attachments

• photo280128.jpg
    photo280128.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

pwrplay

Seaman Apprentice
The new 4.5 single point drain system looks identical to my '15 5.0L MPI ECS.
I drained it completely and had to add 20L (5gal) of the antifreeze, NOT 12L (3gal) like the tech at the dealer told me when I picked up the AF. ( the merc manual does indicate AF quantity needed in the section regarding fluid capacities i noticed AFTER , so I had to go back and buy 2 more jugs of AF the next day).

I added the antifreeze by removing the hoses connected to the T/stat and pouring the AF into them until it started pouring out the other end.

alldodge

Staff member
Just guessing, but Merc makes different types of designs. I've seen some with just the wing nut some with a drain. Thing they make one drawing and show both designs. So you will either have the wing but or the drain, but then again just guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.