Winterizing engine & drive removed from boat

todhunter

Canoeist
Hello, hate to create a thread on this, but the links in the Adults Only thread for winterization are taking me to some unrelated threads.

I've got a Mercruiser 260/V8 (SN B651656) and Alpha One Gen I drive (SN 0B612075) that came in a 1987 PowerPlay XLT-185 that I'm restoring. I pulled the drive and engine a few weeks ago and have them stored in my insulated garage. I'm in the SouthEast, so temperatures don't get crazy cold, but we do occasionally have days that get down below freezing.

Before removing the engine we ran it and it runs good. Cold compression test was 178-187 psi across all 8 cylinders. We changed the engine oil, and I have removed the exhaust risers and elbows. I pulled the stoppers out of the drains on both manifolds and on both sides of the block (total of 4 drains) and probed them with a piece of weld wire to knock loose the crusty stuff. That's all I've done. Since these are already removed from the boat, is there anything else I should do beyond what I've already done?

2.png20201003_144338.png

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Normally, you'd want to detach the large curved hose that goes to the water circulating pump on the front of the engine. It can hold up to a quart of water.