Winterizing a Johnson Outboard

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to outboards. This is my first season with a year 2000 Johnson 115. My boat is on a lift on the lower Potomac. I'm considering leaving it on the lift throughout the winter and will likely drop it down into the water to start the engine at least once every two weeks. So, I'm thinking that this will elimiate the need to "stabilize" the fuel, as well as eliminating the need to do anything to the engine (including fogging). And, since it appears that the water that cycle through it drains out as long as it's in the "down" position, there's no need to run pink antifreeze through it. Can someone pls confirm that my line of thinking is correct? Assuming so, is there really anything that needs to be done in the winter? Any lubing of cables or anything like that? Thx very much. sd

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Winterizing a Johnson Outboard

Gas goes bad as a function of time, not use. Stabilize it. :) <br /><br />A good greasing would be a good idea and make sure there's no water in the gearube. If ice flowing downriver is ever a problem, you might not want to keep the boat or the lift in the water. Moving ice carries a lot of power that can do a lot of damage.

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

Thx W. So then, at the end of season (pretty soon), I should change the lower gear oil, check for water, fill it back up, keep stabilizer in the tank throughout the winter (even if I start the engine every few weeks) and grease any cable connections, sound about right?

DHPMARINE

Captain

If you stabilize the gas,run the motor on that gas.Then fog down the engine.Then change the gear oil.<br /><br />DON'T start the motor every few weeks.Winterizing is letting it sleep till spring.If you want,take the battery home and charge once a month,but even this isn't needed.<br /><br />Wait till spring and have a great season.<br /><br />DHP

BOOSTER-X

Cadet

I would definately take the battery out and keep it on an automatic charger. I've spent hundreds of dollars on batteries over the years because I let them go through freeze/thaw cycles and didn't keep them charged. A couple of salesman at Sears "educated" me....I haven't had to buy a new motorcycle, tractor or boat battery since.