Winterizing a 5.0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
2004 vintage carbed 5.0, new to me so this is my first winterization. Has multipoint drain set up so pulled the block drains and manifold drains on both sides plus drain in circulation hose on front- probed the drains with a wire etc.

Question I have is on the intake (Michigan motorz sourced cast iron 4 bbl) looks like there is a plug the might be a water cross over drain just to left of the thermostat- do I need to pull this as well? I'm assuming cross over will drain through heads and block but wanted to bounce this off you all.

Thanks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
get a service manual for that engine.. they all say same thing. drain water out... most engines have main petcock drain plug, on block right side rear, manifold plug same side above that... thats the set up on 3.0 engines.. pull water hoses and drain, remember to put your drain plugs back in when empty to avoid corrosion of threads, some have brass fittings, some dont.... the older engines dont,,, best practice to put plugs back in..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yeah I have the merc manual doesn't say anything about the water cross over in the intake, maybe being overly cautious was looking to confirm if anyone out there with a 5.0 or 5.7 knows that the water cross over will completely drain.

alldodge

Staff member
like there is a plug the might be a water cross over drain just to left of the thermostat- do I need to pull this as well?

Should be of no need to pull the plug it will drain back in the block and water pump.

If you have a power steering or any other cooler down low make sure to drain it also. If its up high and have an Alpha drive it should drain on its own. If you have a Bravo drive check the path from the seawater pump

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ok thanks for confirming.

It's an alpha so the cooler is a non issue. Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi Scott
I have a 2003 5.0 mpi with quick multi drain system tried and tested method for Scottish -10oC or slightly more as follows;
Take vent plug out thermostat
Open quick drain blue valve and allow to drain
Close valve and replace vent plug
Take big left hand hose off thermostat housing and fill with antifreeze until it comes out hole you took hose off
Take left hand thin hose off thermostat housing and fill until antifreeze comes out the leg at rear
Repeat above step for right hand thin hose off thermostat housing...them you know both risers filled and block filled.
Replace all hoses
Job is a good un.