Winterizing a 2020 4.3L duoprop

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
No, they want you to leave it full.
Yes, they recommend conventional antifreeze. When I questioned them on that, I was told that nontoxic isn’t readily available worldwide. And they don’t want anyone to use something that contains alcohol or doesn’t have anti corrosion additives.
I was surprised to learn during this discussion that it was common practice in Russia to use Vodka. It was not taxable for this use, so cheaper than nontoxic.

Almost all pink nontoxic available in the United States has alcohol in it and/or not enough corrosion protection.

Service bulletins always override any other information.

mt2006

Cadet
Muc,

How would you recommend going about getting the antifreeze into the cooling system? I would assume you could drain and then fill a bucket with 2 gallons of antifreeze and use a 12v pump with a hose going into the bucket on one end and a hose going to the flush port on the other?

I just can't imagine that anyone (other than us perfectionists) is actually doing this......

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Still feel the same way as last year, and for many years before that.

Every mid to upper quality marine service provider in Minnesota uses antifreeze. Only thing that varies is whether they leave it in the engine or recapture it and use it again. The good antifreeze is expensive. You won't get something worth using for $3.00 at the big box store. We buy 550 gallons at a time and pay about $10.00 gallon. But this is the -200° stuff that we dilute to the strength we need for our market.