Winterizing 96 Force 120 Outboard

lsieben

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
1
Want to winterize my boat. Live in northern Saskatchewan. Is it a good idea to drain the oil from the leg and leave it for the winter? I have left myself a note on the keytag and over the ignition key hole. I have also removed the battery and brought it inside. Anything else I can do? It is being stored outside.
 

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
387
Re: Winterizing 96 Force 120 Outboard

do you mean the lower unit gear lube??


No, do not leave it empty , drain it and refill it with new every season.

Condensation can form inside if you leave it empty.

this is what I do every winter.


Change lower unit lube.
Put fuel conditioner in your fuel, run it to get some into the carbs, disconnect the fuel line to run out the carbs.
when the motor starts to sputter like it is running out of fuel, spray fogging oil into all the carbs quickly until the motor quits. Take out each plug, spray fogging oil for about 10 seconds into each cylinder, then I turn the flywheel (clockwise so as not to ruin the impeller) a few times to spread the oil a bit.

Mine is stored outside also, I cover it, tarp it and put a de-humidifier pack inside to absorb some of the moisture.
 
Top