Winterizing 7.4 MPI Inboard

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
I'm about to buy a boat with dual 7.4 inboard. Have never had pure inboard and want to know how to run the pink non-toxic antifreeze through the block. Engine's are FWC with heat exchangers. Do I pull the hose off of the sea intake and somehow hook that end of the hose directly to my 5 gallon winterizing kit, then start the engines and run a few gallons through it? Any other winterizing suggestions that would differ from what I normally do with a 4 cylinder I/O that I currently have? Thx Steve

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing 7.4 MPI Inboard

You answered your own question. Pull the hose from the strainer and run the antifreze through as you stated. When done, close the seacock, clean the strainer and fill the strainer with antifreeze before you re-attach the hose. This will avoid a dry start in the spring and save your impeller.

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

thx Mike, noticed you have/had regal 360. I'm close to buying 99 regal 402. any words of wisdom? Also, regarding the winterization, is there an adaptor required to go from the water intake hose to the winterization kit hose? thx again

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome boat the 402. Much more refined than my '86 360. As for words of wisdom, go over everything on the boat, if at all possible with a surveyor before you close the deal. If it passes go for it and enjoy it, and really start learning. Once the boat is yours, go over every system on board and perform all of the routine maintenance. This will not only ensure that everything is in tip top shape, but will educate you so you can deal with things as they come up over time.<br /><br />One thing to check closely is the V-drives. This is a heavy boat and the transmissions really get a work out. Make sure the fluid is topped up, clean and changed regularly. If the previous owner has not had the alignment checked recently, make sure you get it done. Misalignment will wreak havoc with the transmissions.<br /><br />You will probably find that the boat is pretty heavy and not overly powered. For best performance you will need your tabs for getting on plane and staying there. While these big Regals are not quick, they will run solidly at 23-25 mph at 3500 or so and handle every condition quite well.<br /><br />My 360 is my third Regal and my experience with the company has been excellent. They make a solid product and stand behind them. While I purchased the boat used, many years past the warranty, Regal has been quite helpful when I've had the odd question and has also provided some minor trim and logo pieces for the boat at no charge.<br /><br />As for an adapter, you may have to make your own. My set up is a 5 gallon bucket with the correct size barb fitting to match the inlet hose.<br /><br />Good luck with the 402.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> watermansd<br /> there is a trech bulliten about the fogging procedures on the MPI and EFI engines, I dont have it here but it is on the forum someplace. my guess is someone with a better memory than mine can post the exact site<br />good luck and keep posting

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

Mike and Rod, thx for the advice guys. sd