Winterization In Florida........Yes or No?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winterization In Florida........Yes or No?

I don't think ya have too much to be worried about.

Yes being near a river in FL will keep you warmer in the winter.

Though I did wake up to snow in Jacksonville in the late 60's. Heh heh heh. Sorry! Weren't no thang, gone soon's the sun come up ...

Hey just a thought but ya might be able to make some alterations to make the petcocks easier to get at?

Handchops

Cadet

Wow interesting thread. I live in Southeast Ohio and we've had several days the past few weeks the temperature dipped into the 20s. However my garden hose with water in it doesn't even freeze yet. Sure I'll need to winterize my boat soon but I wouldn't let a couple of cold nights scare you. I know I'm going to catch hell for this response but I won't read it cause I'll be at the lake!! Looks like wall-to-wall sun from now thru the weekend, but wait a min..... forecast calls for 28? in Dayton tonight. I promise to post tomorrow if my block is cracked.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, very interesting thread. But, after reading the different replies and doing some analizing of the thread, here is what I think:

A number of boat owners who live in the northern states, where winterizing is a must, think that it should be done most everywhere. Now, those boat owners that have two homes, one in Florida and another in a northern state, wouldn't necessarily think that way. Of course, it might depend on what location of Florida, since the Lake City (northcentral area) can get colder than Jacksonville and the northside (airport area) and westside can get colder than we get down here on the southside. Some of those northside and westside areas are wide-open areas of land that can get pretty cold! We aren't in a wide-open area like they are. Anyway, this guy we know in Ormond Beach told us that he never winterizes his boat and he's had a boat there for some 30 years. Now, the property him/wife have in Michigan, they always winterize the two old boats they have there.

When it does get cold here, some boaters rush their boat into the nearest shop for winterizing, while others don't. I was told by a Mercruiser Dealership lead mechanic "those that don't wind up being fine as well".

UncleWillie

Captain

...the temperature dipped into the 20s. However my garden hose with water in it doesn't even freeze yet. ...I know I'm going to catch hell for this ...

Get out the Mitt. (Catchers that is!)

Are you sure the hose wasn't frozen at 5am before the sun came up?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Here's what I think... water will freeze at the same temp in alaska, maine, ohio, texas, and yes, even florida.... NOBODY says it must be freeze protected BECAUSE it is in florida, but rather it must be freeze protected IF there is any threat of the temp getting below that freeze number.... 32 degrees.