Winterization Cost

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What's the going rate for a Mercruiser 6.2 liter? That would include draining the water, outdrive service (oil), engine oil, plus check fuel water separator and any other normal annual checks and services.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I have always done it "in-house", but may not be able to this season, so I been looking too. If I recall correctly, we may be in the same area. I think that "what is normal" to be done, varies greatly. But I'm thinking about $300-400. Reminds me why we usually do all our boats ourselves.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At the marina that did my 5.7 would be $400 (including oil change). That's in central Indiana... may be more/less where you are. I was able to look the price up on-line.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
$550 for 20' or less ($650 for > 20') at the one place in South Jersey.

Includes replacing all oil's, filters, drain/flush block & fill with anti-freeze. Pull outdrive, check & lube u-joint, check bellows, lube gimble. Fog the engine, spray anti-corrosive on engine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The reason I asked was that my son just had his done and they charged $450, which we thought was excessive.

For 50 years I have never paid a dealer to do mine, and we have always done my son's old boat together. But this new Mercury engine has no "blue plugs" and the dealer said the water had to be sucked out. We just didn't want to take a chance on a brand new $90K boat, plus there were a couple parts that needed to be replaced under warranty anyway.

I called 2 local dealers and they quoted $375 and $299.

Looks like some R&D needed for next year.

My new boat should be here any day now, and quite happy to be going back to an outboard again. No more blue plugs, gimble bearings, u-joints, and the dreaded godawful bellows for me. I used to spend hours doing my old mercruiser, and now my Whaler's Merc 4-stroke only took 20 minutes...

Walt T

Lieutenant
[No message]

Attachments

• photo303830.jpg
    photo303830.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 0

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wow! That add on price for bellows and a gimbal seem really reasonable. I would just tell them to add it on to the service at that rate whether it really needed it or not!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Wow! That add on price for bellows and a gimbal seem really reasonable. I would just tell them to add it on to the service at that rate whether it really needed it or not!

It says 'Check bellows, grease gimbal bearing'... Those 2 take all of 10 minutes, and are part of the normal annual service anyway..... It's not a 'replace'....

It also DOES NOT have 'Add AF'.... :thumb:

Chris.......

Walt T

Lieutenant
Dealerships have overhead. If you dont like the prices feel free to do it yourself. We will be more than happy to give you a cost to replace your cracked block in the spring

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Dealerships have overhead. If you dont like the prices feel free to do it yourself. We will be more than happy to give you a cost to replace your cracked block in the spring

:facepalm:

Boat owners are more than capable of draining a bit of water out of the block, pulling the drive and checking the annual service items....

I do work for many friends, but I'm often away from home for long periods of time, and they prefer to sit and wait for me to get home than take the boat to a dealer. "I prefer to have the job done properly" is the usual response.

One of those friend just had his car 'serviced' by a dealer... He told them there's a problem with the steering (I'm about to drive it so I don't know yet what the problem is) and was aware that 2 lamps in the rear light assemblies are blown. It came back with the same steering problem and an 'all lights tested and working' report (those blown lamps are still blown). For that BS service he was asked to pay $400.... So don't tell me that having a dealer do the winterizing, or a service, is the best way to go!

Chris..........

Walt T

Lieutenant
I never said it was the best way to go. Just posted our prices and was criticized. Yes I agree any boat owner can drain their own blocks but as evidenced by the hundreds of winterizations we do a lot prefer to pay someone to do them. If I screw one up I buy them a new engine. The vast majority of winterizations are basic winterize. Less than 200.00. Some boats take longer than others due to access. We check gear lube and if it needs gear lube its changed with only the cost of lube added. Sure any owner can do their own. I guarantee I'll be replacing at least 3 engines come spring that owners thought they could winterize themselves. I can't speak for that dealer you mentioned but I provide a service for the money and it isn't BS. Apples and oranges. No owners have complained and we haven't raised prices in 3 years. In fact I have had customers bring their boats in and ask me how to drain everything. More than happy to help them out for free. The land and the building I work in were not free. My tools are not free. I have a home and kids in college. Not free. I'm just like you in that I go to work every day, except I don't always know how much I'll make each payday. I make very little in the winter, Do well in the summer. Judging by the huge number of boats we work on I'd be willing to say it's a small percentage of owners that want to work on their own boats. I say more power to em. So I come here to help ya'll out. You're free to criticize me but I'll still come here and help ya out. I'm kinda annoying that way

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I never said it was the best way to go. Just posted our prices and was criticized. Yes I agree any boat owner can drain their own blocks but as evidenced by the hundreds of winterizations we do a lot prefer to pay someone to do them. If I screw one up I buy them a new engine. The vast majority of winterizations are basic winterize. Less than 200.00. Some boats take longer than others due to access. We check gear lube and if it needs gear lube its changed with only the cost of lube added. Sure any owner can do their own. I guarantee I'll be replacing at least 3 engines come spring that owners thought they could winterize themselves. I can't speak for that dealer you mentioned but I provide a service for the money and it isn't BS. Apples and oranges. No owners have complained and we haven't raised prices in 3 years. In fact I have had customers bring their boats in and ask me how to drain everything. More than happy to help them out for free. The land and the building I work in were not free. My tools are not free. I have a home and kids in college. Not free. I'm just like you in that I go to work every day, except I don't always know how much I'll make each payday. I make very little in the winter, Do well in the summer. Judging by the huge number of boats we work on I'd be willing to say it's a small percentage of owners that want to work on their own boats. I say more power to em. So I come here to help ya'll out. You're free to criticize me but I'll still come here and help ya out. I'm kinda annoying that way

First of all, I'm the OP and I wasn't the one that criticized your prices. When I saw the first post I thought you were quoting some dealer, not your own. Actually, your prices are about mid range of what my locals charge.

As I said before, in my 50 years of boat ownership I have always done it myself. But sometimes life gets in the way. This year was the first time to seek outside help. I don't mind paying for GOOD work. I just was unsure that the price was right.

Thanks for your comments.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The problem with people doing their own work, is that they take short cuts. The idea of reading a shop manual and following the steps, is viewed as an obsolete exercise. The internet must have a quicker, easier way, is what people think. I have no trouble telling people how to do it but I do have a problem with people not caring if they acquire the correct knowledge or not. Either read a manual, do it right, or pay a pro. While many people are capable to do it themselves, that depends on their work habit and work ethic, and the willingness to admit what they do not know....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The problem with people doing their own work, is that they take short cuts. The idea of reading a shop manual and following the steps, is viewed as an obsolete exercise. The internet must have a quicker, easier way, is what people think. I have no trouble telling people how to do it but I do have a problem with people not caring if they acquire the correct knowledge or not. Either read a manual, do it right, or pay a pro. While many people are capable to do it themselves, that depends on their work habit and work ethic, and the willingness to admit what they do not know....

Boy you got that right.....LOL. As a Professional Engineer with 45 years experience WRITING the manuals, I know exactly where you are coming from. That's why, when I retired, I am able to charge thru the freankin' nose as a consultant to fix factory problems that even a junior Engineer should be able to figure out. But that's another story.

Too many hobbies and too little time. All my boats get personal attention. If I don't have time I just want to be sure I'm not getting gouged. Thanks for all the replies.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
It says 'Check bellows, grease gimbal bearing'... Those 2 take all of 10 minutes, and are part of the normal annual service anyway..... It's not a 'replace'....

It also DOES NOT have 'Add AF'.... :thumb:

Chris.......

I was talking the add on charges below the full service. It appears to indicate changing them out as checking and greasing are included in the full service.

Jrmay25

Recruit
$190 at my marina. Includes draining the block, fogging, oil and filter change. Then the dewinterize for free in the spring. Not even going to chance doing it myself...

Walt T

Lieutenant
Looks like I'll be going out in the yard and draining boats that were brought in after first hard freeze that I haven't gotten to yet. Hard to believe there are so many boats in Colorado.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
The reason I asked was that my son just had his done and they charged $450, which we thought was excessive.

For 50 years I have never paid a dealer to do mine, and we have always done my son's old boat together. But this new Mercury engine has no "blue plugs" and the dealer said the water had to be sucked out. We just didn't want to take a chance on a brand new $90K boat, plus there were a couple parts that needed to be replaced under warranty anyway.

I called 2 local dealers and they quoted $375 and $299.

Looks like some R&D needed for next year.

My new boat should be here any day now, and quite happy to be going back to an outboard again. No more blue plugs, gimble bearings, u-joints, and the dreaded godawful bellows for me. I used to spend hours doing my old mercruiser, and now my Whaler's Merc 4-stroke only took 20 minutes...

JIm123,

Interesting, I was not aware the water had to be sucked out on that engine. The new snowmobiles are the same way. They require the use of an evacuator to remove the chain case oil unless you want to remove the cover and the oil goes everywhere. NO more drain plugs, can't grease the bearings (replace when bad), digital wrench to read the engine, etc. etc.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
JIm123,

Interesting, I was not aware the water had to be sucked out on that engine. The new snowmobiles are the same way. They require the use of an evacuator to remove the chain case oil unless you want to remove the cover and the oil goes everywhere. NO more drain plugs, can't grease the bearings (replace when bad), digital wrench to read the engine, etc. etc.

I suppose its just like everything else. The Manufacturers and Dealers don't make enough profit (in their mind) by selling the product, so they have to make it hard for the Consumer after the sale, so that they HAVE to go back to the selling dealer for service.

I guess if you want to play, you have to pay.