Winter storage - drain plug hole question

mickms

Cadet
I recently bought a nice 20' Glastron I/O. When I inspected it, the PO had a piece of nylon kitchen scrubber stuffed in the drain plug hole "to keep out mice". I never saw, or even thought of, this, but it does seem to make some sense in theory. This is my first I/O drive boat, so it makes sense that mice chewing on the stuff in the engine compartment might be something to avoid!

However, in practice, as soon as I pulled this dish scrubber out of the hole, a gush of water came pouring out, suggesting that it really wasn't letting the water drain out!

So the question is: do you leave a "permeable" rodent barrier in the drain hole during the winter, and if so, what material?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winter storage - drain plug hole question

If you are concerned about things getting into your boat through the drain plug just tape a screen over the hole from the outside.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if the hole is threaded you could also screw in a piece of 1/2" pipe with the other end flattened enough to keep critters out

bick

Seaman Apprentice

Would 1/2" threaded pipe at HD or Lowe's have the same thread sizing? Don't want anyone to mess up the thread on their transom drain.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you buy plastic parts then you can "feel" how it fits before you damage anything. Additionally, the critter has to have a path to get into the drain hole.....what is the path for a mouse to get into your drain? Unless you back up to something , or tilt your boat till the transom touches the floor, I'd say you don't have one.

Mark

ziggy

Admiral

myself, while i'm concerned about critters, i am more concerned about water intrusion.
i leave my boat totally empty over the winter layup. only thing inside my boat is decon. so if critters do get into my boat they have something to eat...;)
as for my drain plug hole. i put a paper towel in it. part of the paper towel rests at the very back edge of the bilge where the transom and the bottom of the hull meet at. the other half of the paper towel hangs out the drain hole below the bottom of the boat. this is an effective wick. any water is absorbed by the paper towel and if it saturates the paper towel, being the paper towel on the outside is below the bottom of the boat. it wicks water out.
my boat is also stored right next to my house so i can observe it daily if i want or need to..

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Some of us Minnesotans use steel wool as a rodent barrier, air and water can pass thru, critters dont like chewing on it like a rag or paper towel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep the thread on most is the same as the pipe at the home improvement store...thread it in by band.... it doesn't have to be cranked down, just a couple turns will get it done.... BTW mice can JUMP! Quite a distance too.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

BTW mice can JUMP! Quite a distance too.

Okaye. Then the screen wire over the outside with some Duck Tape to hold it and the paper towel or cotton rope (say 1/4 the hole dia or less) to wick out the remnants of moisture looks like the right answer. On the rope wicking, I know that the process works from other endeavors.

Mark

TilliamWe

Banned

myself, while i'm concerned about critters, i am more concerned about water intrusion.
i leave my boat totally empty over the winter layup. only thing inside my boat is decon. so if critters do get into my boat they have something to eat...

Exactly. You do NOT want to put ANYTHING in that hole at all. The risk of it plugging up is too great. Besides, you want AIR to be able to get in and out, so the boat can "breathe" over the winter. The best way to prevent rodents is to put dryer sheets in the boat. Seriously. Get a box of bounce and put them in various places thoughout the boat. Mice don't like them, and won't mess with your boat. Plus in the spring, your boat will be "clothesline fresh".

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If you interfere with the hole, you risk getting an ice blockage, too.

A lot of what you do depends on whether you will still use the boat in cold weather, whether it is close to home and can be checked/repaired easily, and whether you are open to get a lot of water through the boat, or tightly covered and avoiding large volumes.

Also, a wicking system can freeze, preventing you from inserting the plug if you want to use the boat in sub-freezing weather. Again, that depends on your use. I use mine in sub-freezing weather (the beauty of an outboard) but others put them away for the whole winter.